Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The title says it all - well, almost.

I'm looking for a very rich and complex sound, not necessarily dark but definitely not bright, piercing and clear, either. Kind of a beautiful, soft (soft in texture but not in volume), gold-noisy (that's white-noisy but with some depth :D) sounding mpc with body to it. The cheaper the better (but not at the expense of quality). Any suggestions? Thanks.

Oh, BTW, this is not a "wanted to buy" post, rather I'm looking for suggestions.

·
Super Moderator
26,299 Posts
Barone vintage is very nice.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor
4,379 Posts
The Tenney Link TE pretty much fits that description -- or, I suppose, any good TE.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I've tried Barone, Morgan, Bari, Meyer, Yani, Link, Selmer (SS, S80, S90) and who knows what else. Nothing does it for me like the Vandoren v16 and you can get them for under $100 new. Very sweet warm tone with good projection, tuning is great. Just my opinion, but if you have the chance it's one I'd sure recommend trying out.

·
Registered
653 Posts
+for the V16. Blows easy. Great sound, and I don't play soprano often. It's full and not shrill. Can be brightish if you want to, but generally dark. It's really pretty sounding and doesn't have a nasally sound.

·
27,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Compllex, rich sounding soprano mpc for under $150.00?

+1 on the Morgan Vintage. I was delightfully surprised. Here is a little clip of the head of Blue Bossa played on my Morgan Vintage: View attachment 10632
Nice playing, Craig, and thanks for the sample. This is absolutely perfect because it lets me communicate what I'm looking for. Now, this is absolutely no criticism whatsoever...that sound is a little bit more nasal and brighter and clearer than what I'm looking for. Your clip let's me make a contrast. Thanks. This is more the kind of sound I'm looking for:

Regarding the V16s, I had a very nice one for alto but abandoned it because (again for ~me~), the sound seemed to have a bit of a bright, thin character right on the edge of the sound that I didn't like.

You can hear in Tineke's playing, a sound that carries because of its (her) presence, but doesn't have a bright edge to it.

G

·

This is more the kind of sound I'm looking for:

You can hear in Tineke's playing, a sound that carries because of its (her) presence, but doesn't have a bright edge to it.
Yeah, she plays well and has a great sound. I'm no mouthpiece guru, but it looked like she might have been playing a Meyer or some type of Meyer-based piece??? They are relatively inexpensive and maybe if you got a large chamber Meyer, it wouldn't cross too far into the bright side of the color spectrum.

·
27,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I'm no mouthpiece guru, but it looked like she might have been playing a Meyer or some type of Meyer-based piece???
You're right, Craig. Tineke plays a Meyer 7M with 3.0 V16 reeds.
For financial reasons, it' most likely that, for some time to come, I will be playing on Taiwanese sopranos, which will more likely have a simpler/purer and brighter sound than her Mark VI, so I'm wondering if I need to compensate for that with a different mpc.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
Super Action 80 Tenor, Buescher 156 Tenor, Yamaha Vito YAS-21 , Kessler Soprano, Superba II Bari
4,956 Posts

I'm no mouthpiece guru, but it looked like she might have been playing a Meyer or some type of Meyer-based piece???
You're right, Craig. Tineke plays a Meyer 7M with 3.0 V16 reeds.
For financial reasons, it' most likely that, for some time to come, I will be playing on Taiwanese sopranos, which will more likely have a simpler/purer and brighter sound than her Mark VI, so I'm wondering if I need to compensate for that with a different mpc.
Gary, if you are trying out a bunch of pieces at once, add the Link STM to your list. A friend of mine uses a 7* on his YSS-475, and he gets a tone that is very similar to the Tineke clip. I'm using a 7* on a very cheap Chinese soprano, and it was the only piece that I could find that kept my horn from sounding overly thin. Given the built in brightness of both the 475 and my horn, I would be very surprised if an STM couldn't make a modern Taiwanese horn sound good. Of course, the Meyer would probably fit the bill just as well.

The only soprano sound clip that I have posted online is in my signature. Keep in mind that my friend's tone is considerably darker than mine, the youtube compression decreases some of the low end of the sound, and my Chinese soprano is an extremely bright horn. You may have some trouble being that the STM is an extremely narrow mouthpiece. I find it quite comfortable, many players do not.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I recently trialed ( and bought) a CE Winds Omega soprano. The mouthpiece that came with it was too closed, so to give it a fair trial I bought a Meyer 7M ( about $90) as a middle-of-the-road piece...primarly because of this thread:

http://saxontheweb.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=101776

and because I play a Meyer G on alto and like it. Being new to a soprano ( I mainly play tenor), I didn't know what tonal quality to expect....but what I got was not reedy and bright. Played softly it is pretty mellow....but I can get a brighter sound by increasing the air stream. ( I use Fibracells ( 2 1/2) and a Consoli white lig. I suspect a cane reed and the stock lig would be even darker.)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2010
1,159 Posts

I've just undertaken a similar exercise. I have been playing Yamaha 4CM and small-chamber Riffault pieces on my vintage sopranos, achieving a nice balance between warmth and projection. But the same mouthpieces are thin and bright on my Taiwanese (Maxtone) soprano.

I recently took a chance in the Marketplace here on a Lomax Classic. To my ear it makes an amazing change to the Maxtone, making it notably rich and warm across the full range.

These are handmade from a Zinner blank. Details here:

http://www.lomaxclassic.com/saxophone.htm

(Note that I am refering to the original Classic: not the new C and D series.)

List price is above your stated budget, but I really think they might be worth a try if you can find one at a discount or get lucky secondhand.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.