Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm slowly learning, that with a whopping two and a half years of playing under my belt, I shouldn't get complacent with my sound, and hence, my setup. I play a 10M with a NV Slant Link 7* Tone Edge. I had been using Fibracell 2.0's on it, for quite some time, and everything seemed pretty fine, till I started getting my tongue a little more involved in my articulation, today.
I began experiencing some closing off. Just to see what would happen, I switched to a 2.5, which had given me trouble, when I started out on that strength in the past.
Suddenly, the close off disappeared, and my upper register notes sounded so much more full and even a touch more mellow (if I'm not hearing more than is there?). I still run out of breath on the longer measures I play, but that I can work on.
I'm amazed how much better everything sounds, when I had thought I sounded alright with the thinner reed.
(Luckily I have a range of Fibracells from 1.5 up to 3.5's to choose from, allowing me an occasional change-up!)
Sometimes it's worth trying something a little different.

·
Registered
Alto sax, Tenor sax, Clarinet
1,309 Posts
You mention that you had been playing the 2.0 for quite some time. Did you try another 2.0 to make sure the old reed wasn't just shot? Fibracells tend to go all of a sudden on you.
However, on a 7*, a Fibracell 2.5 is a common choice, so it could just be that your embouchure is getting stronger. Play the 2.5 for a couple of weeks, and let us know if you still prefer that one. I play some 7* mouthpieces, and I can play 2.5, 3.0 and 3.5 Fibracells on them. The only real difference is the upper register sounds slightly better with the 3.5, but I am trying my best to avoid biting on tenor, so I generally play the 2.5 or 3.0.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You mention that you had been playing the 2.0 for quite some time. Did you try another 2.0 to make sure the old reed wasn't just shot? Fibracells tend to go all of a sudden on you.
However, on a 7*, a Fibracell 2.5 is a common choice, so it could just be that your embouchure is getting stronger. Play the 2.5 for a couple of weeks, and let us know if you still prefer that one. I play some 7* mouthpieces, and I can play 2.5, 3.0 and 3.5 Fibracells on them. The only real difference is the upper register sounds slightly better with the 3.5, but I am trying my best to avoid biting on tenor, so I generally play the 2.5 or 3.0.
A good observation, but yes, it's a fairly new 2.0, as is the 2.5. I date mark the Fibracell cases, the day I open them. That one was opened on 12/4/18. I generally get about 6 mos. out of a reed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts