Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made this little video today with an example of a Series III alto with the original neck, and with a Mark VII neck. The differences are clearly audible. I am a tenor player, and the alto hasn't come out of the case in about a year, so I am not used to either neck or biased towards either one.
The mics used were a Rhode NT1A and a Sennheiser MKH-416.
I am going to sell this horn in a month or to, so please disregard the talking at the end. That is for when I sell it.

http://youtu.be/iUV16PRM4ZU

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,634 Posts
I made this little video today with an example of a Series III alto with the original neck, and with a Mark VII neck. The differences are clearly audible. I am a tenor player, and the alto hasn't come out of the case in about a year, so I am not used to either neck or biased towards either one.
The mics used were a Rhode NT1A and a Sennheiser MKH-416.
I am going to sell this horn in a month or to, so please disregard the talking at the end. That is for when I sell it.

http://youtu.be/iUV16PRM4ZU
Nice playing and sound Nathan! As a fellow Series III alto owner I'm curious what mouthpiece/reed -combination works for you with this alto?

-TH

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm playing on a RPC .90 with a Rico Jazz Select 2H. The mouthpiece plays great, but that tip opening is a bit big for me. It is difficult to control. I probably need a smaller tip opening or a harder reed with this one.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, I am going to sell the neck with the horn. It fits this Series III so well that I think it is better for me to sell them together.

·
SOTW Member
3,394 Posts
Thanks for your reply..I heard your tape..To my ears (and I have big ones) your III sounds much fatter and better with the proper neck. anyway, 99% of your prospective buyers will neither want or care about a "MkVII neck"..

Best of luck with your sale.

btw, I've read the hot ticket on the MKVII alto is a sterling series III neck..go figure.

keep my email just in case..

check out www.box.net/cashsax for some of my tunes.

·
SOTW Member
3,394 Posts
Just a thought..I have a very nice genuine "Venus" curved soprano in mint condition I'd swap for the VII neck.

·
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,799 Posts
First, let me say that you have a wonderful 'big band' sound and style. I thought the first neck was best, but I certainly appreciated the slightly darker second neck. Overall, I'd say a player would tend to stick with the first neck which I take to be the original.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I usually play with the original neck too, which I prefer...but I sold the sax with the VII neck to attract buyers. It was much easier selling the horn with an extra neck to add some sonic flexibility. On my mark VII tenor I much prefer s series III neck or a mark VI neck to the original neck.

·
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,799 Posts
I usually play with the original neck too, which I prefer...but I sold the sax with the VII neck to attract buyers. It was much easier selling the horn with an extra neck to add some sonic flexibility. On my mark VII tenor I much prefer s series III neck or a mark VI neck to the original neck.
That makes good sense. The Series III tenor neck is the same shape as a late MK VI neck and should really bring a MK 7 to life. I use a Series III Sterling neck on my MK VI, and I'm crazy about how it plays.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts