Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Thanks so much for this video--a lot of work. And of course requires access to the various horns, in the hands of a good player.
I find spread vs. focus to be a nebulous concept without sonic examples to compare and contrast. Words are cheap, the proof is in the sound and your effort to record and then describe it.
It is interesting to me that you prefer a C neck on your 82Z since that is what comes with the recent Atelier edition, and is probably the greatest contribution to any unique sound it may have. I like mine a lot, a keeper to grow with.

·
Forum Contributor 2013-2019
1,010 Posts
Interesting comparison. I live in two places - 7 months up north and the rest down south where it's warm in winter - and instead of dragging a sax with me back and forth, I keep a VI (late model) up north and a Z (early model, V neck) down south. I use the same mouthpiece/reed set up on both, and every year when I first pick up the Z after playing the VI for 7 months, I'm always struck by how easy the Z is to play - I like the ergos and lower resistance better than my VI - but the sound of the VI is so much richer and to my ears a bit darker, which is what I hear in your video. I'm always torn between which I prefer. In your case I preferred the sound of the VIs vs the Z.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting comparison. I live in two places - 7 months up north and the rest down south where it's warm in winter - and instead of dragging a sax with me back and forth, I keep a VI (late model) up north and a Z (early model, V neck) down south. I use the same mouthpiece/reed set up on both, and every year when I first pick up the Z after playing the VI for 7 months, I'm always struck by how easy the Z is to play - I like the ergos and lower resistance better than my VI - but the sound of the VI is so much richer and to my ears a bit darker, which is what I hear in your video. I'm always torn between which I prefer. In your case I preferred the sound of the VIs vs the Z.
Watertown? I grew up there. Still live not far. "up north" yeah it's already depressing hah.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts