Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had one of those for a couple of months, and when I could get another one I did not hesitate. I have got the second one here for trial, and I'm surprised how different they are concerning built, tone and attack. They both came with original accessoires (lig with 'T' engraved, cap and original short box).
You will find both mouthpieces in the photographs attached. If you want larger pictures, this is the address to go:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8heeouani5rkcnl/AABXG2Qbp0MN_aVrmE-sVDSya?dl=0

First of all, one looks silverish and one has a more golden surface. Then, the shank length is quite different. The gold lacquer mp has a shorter slope from the body to the shank than the silverish mp. They do look different, although the overall length is about the same.
Then, the window in the silverish model seems larger than that in the other one, its chamber seems to be larger, and the baffle is a bit more roll-over. The gold lacquer mouthpiece has a much more sloping baffle.
One word concerning the front rail of the silverish Florida: the rails is fine, but some of the plating has been lost, so it's hard to photograph the transition from rail to baffle.

The sound is quite different as well: the gold lacquer Florida has more resistance and is darker throughout. The silver lacquer (or is it rhodium?) Florida is brighter and has a lot more power from the start.

This comparison shows once more how different Florida no USA Links can be.
View attachment 220128 View attachment 220130 View attachment 220132 View attachment 220134 View attachment 220136

·
Registered
8,975 Posts
These are plated with a layer of nickel under the top layer of gold. The gold rubs away over time but the hard nickel layer lasts a lot longer. No lacquer is used on mouthpieces.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks MojoBari, as a non native speaker I keep doing the same mistakes again and again: plating, layer, lacquer. I hope I've learned my lesson better this time...;-)

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
I have had one of those for a couple of months, and when I could get another one I did not hesitate. I have got the second one here for trial, and I'm surprised how different they are concerning built, tone and attack. They both came with original accessoires (lig with 'T' engraved, cap and original short box).
You will find both mouthpieces in the photographs attached. If you want larger pictures, this is the address to go:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8heeouani5rkcnl/AABXG2Qbp0MN_aVrmE-sVDSya?dl=0

First of all, one looks silverish and one has a more golden surface. Then, the shank length is quite different. The gold lacquer mp has a shorter slope from the body to the shank than the silverish mp. They do look different, although the overall length is about the same.
Then, the window in the silverish model seems larger than that in the other one, its chamber seems to be larger, and the baffle is a bit more roll-over. The gold lacquer mouthpiece has a much more sloping baffle.
One word concerning the front rail of the silverish Florida: the rails is fine, but some of the plating has been lost, so it's hard to photograph the transition from rail to baffle.

The sound is quite different as well: the gold lacquer Florida has more resistance and is darker throughout. The silver lacquer (or is it rhodium?) Florida is brighter and has a lot more power from the start.

This comparison shows once more how different Florida no USA Links can be.
View attachment 220128 View attachment 220130 View attachment 220132 View attachment 220134 View attachment 220136
I don’t care about any of that. Tell me what you had for lunch. Phil

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Phil, as a starter I had one your favourite mouthpieces, a Guardala MB I. Just some native olive oil, salt and pepper to go with that one. The main dish was a risotto of five vintage hard rubber pieces with half a bottle of a fine Brunello. For dessert, I had a sweet vintage Freddie Gregory made of wood with fruit of the season and whipped cream.
A prime uve Grappa and a nice espresso from a La Pavoni machine completed the meal.
My teeth feel a bit akward, but that was quite a meal. Thanks for asking.... ;-) BTW: How do you spell R-U-D-E?

·
Administrator
17,276 Posts
Heiner, two very nice examples of no USA Link's made from different blanks. The shorter shank one is one of the earliest no USA models, the other one is from a later period (made from a different type of blank). Both have Nickel under the (remaining) Gold plating, that's what Florida made STM's had. The NY Links and the Babbitt Link's (from 1975 onwards) had Silver plating under the Gold.

From the pictures I could already tell that the shorter shank no USA would sound a bit brighter. It has considerable more material just after the tip, including a higher starting roll over baffle. The later no USA has a much lower and flatter area just behind the tip and that area normally defines a lot of how bright a mouthpiece sounds.

I own two similar no USA's Florida Link's, see these pictures:
- STM Florida no USA 9 (original): https://plus.google.com/photos/108637650008771977212/albums/5944960483592890289
- STM Florida no USA 10* (original): https://plus.google.com/photos/108637650008771977212/albums/5944960866055222849

My short shank Florida (the 9 tip) has a bit lower baffle compared to yours. Because of that it's closer in sound compared to my longer shank 10* no USA. Sound wise they are very close, but I can get the 9 a bit brighter when I play with a higher air stream. In my case the difference in tip size also has an effect: the bigger tip pieces will normally sound a bit darker, all other things being equal. I prefer my 10* a bit better, the 9 is my first back up mouthpiece (and sometimes the preferred one to break in a harder reed).

Which of your pieces do you prefer (my guess is the longer shank model)?

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, dear Peter, for such a detailed and interesting information. Indeed the early piece (short shank) is a lot brighter than the later piece. I can't really tell which one I like better because they both have their fortes. I don't know if I will keep both of them, time will tell.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Following Peter's comment, I dediced to record clips of both mouthpieces which in fact confirm what I had heard and what Peter suggested.

The early short shank Florida has more baffle, accordingly, it sounds a bit brighter and cutting

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rbcpvlbartymmvt/Master FX Florida neu#01.mp3?dl=0

The long shank late Florida is more balladesque and darker

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oy5atx9e1ivju4c/Master FX Florida alt#02.mp3?dl=0

I love both of them and can't say which one I prefer.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,878 Posts
They both sound very good. I personally prefer the sound of the second one, it's more complex and darker. But the first one seems to be punchier, more powerful. What reed and lig are you using? And what tips are they? (I haven't looked at the pictures). Are they both original?

·
Administrator
17,276 Posts
Sounding good on both Heiner. I couldn't say which one I prefer, but I for sure hear the 'predicted' differences between both.

When you would play a louder song the differences will even become more clear.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Jorge:

Yes, they are both original. The lig I prefer on all my Links is an Olegature. I have a Silverstein Cryo as well which is a bit darker, but it will fit tightly on older Links with big blanks (like for example NY Double Rings or Tonemasters) and will not be as tight on the later pieces. The reed is a Woodstone 3. I haven't measured the actual tip openings but will do so later.

Peter:

You are definitely right. I'm not a 'loud' player, but certainly the early 7* has to offer a lot more if and when you push it.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Would someone PLEASE tell me what they’re having for dinner? I’m starving for Christ’s sake.
Phil, with respect...

All of your posts re food etc are becoming boring.

Fine, post some food stuff in appropriate threads, in the appropriate part of the forum.

But not everywhere............ This is a mouthpiece thread!!!!!

Thanks

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
Phil, with respect...

All of your posts re food etc are becoming boring.

Fine, post some food stuff in appropriate threads, in the appropriate part of the forum.

But not everywhere............ This is a mouthpiece thread!!!!!

Thanks
You think food posts are boring, imagine how I feel about mouthpieces. Talk about boring. And by the way, I have an disease, I can’t help it. Okay, I’ll back off, just tell me what you had for breakfast.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,878 Posts
I think respect is due to the original poster. Please, let's focus on the two Links.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Today I compared my rarely played Florida Link no USA 10* to the two 7* mouthpieces above. Funny how everything falls into place: the 10* has the exact dimensions (short shank and position of rings or bands) and the baffle of the earlier 7*. Besides, it came with a ligature that is another proof these are early Florida blanks. It is cross hatched and has "Otto Link" engraved instead of the "T" of the later ligatures.

View attachment 220410 View attachment 220412 View attachment 220414 View attachment 220416

1 - 20 of 35 Posts