Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I trying to compare a Searchlight Alto to a RMC Indiana Alto.

Wondering about bores. Differences in quality, which one would be better for rock type player.

Any, Any thoughts would appreciated!

Thanks....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,974 Posts
Those horns are pretty far apart in era. They should also be far apart in price. If they are not, get the Searchlight, it's the better instrument.

Sorry, offhand I cannot offer much feedback on comparative sound...other than saying the older horn has a wider tone to it, more low overtones. All Martins are punchy...so I hesitate to call it 'dark'. But it is a fuller, lusher tone.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
743 Posts
Given a choice, go for the Searchlight. These Handcraft Committee 1 horns have the best low end of any alto, period. Warm and fat, easy to subtone with a softer reed and an open mouthpiece, but then roars like a lion when pushed. Also, the Searchlight has solid nickel keys, making the action fleet. Finally, the Searchlight has the best left hand thumbrest EVER (modern manufacturers: Are you listening?)
Sax Magic

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,031 Posts
I agree. I have most of the Martin alto models (except the Indiana types) and my Searchlights are great. So far I haven't found a dud for Martin altos so I would buy by condition and finish. I have a searchlight for $650 ready to play and there are a lot on ebay for the same or less. I would pass on the Indiana and wait until you find a Searchlight, Lion & Crown or a HC Imperial (one of the hidden secrets from Martin). Many are relacquers since Martin is known for bad lacquer. I recently found a silver plated Searchlight and it has sound AND looks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts