Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! Thank you for taking the time to read my post!

I have been playing the Alto Sax for about 4 years, currently on the Yas200ad.

I am interested in upgrading horns, but i would like to know your guys' opinions!

I like Yamahas, but my friends reccomend Yanagisawas, specifically the A991. At Kesslers music the a991 is $3249 (2/16/10). Is this a fair price for a new instrument, and why?

I am open to many different Alto Sax's, and please if you can, reccomend
me a good alto sax, a fair price for a new instrument, and why you think this would be a good instrument for
me, that would be great and extremely helpful!

Also, i still play on a 4c Yamaha mouthpiece, if you could reccomend a good mouthpiece, reed, that would be great!

Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Well you're getting a big 4 horn still. Yanis have different keywork, not radically so, but it is subtle, especially the palms. The metal may be a bit thicker, but they are structurally similar and both good. They both have modern sounds, so basically neutral if not a shade bright. Check out Steven Howard's review of the 992: http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk/Reviews/Saxes/Alto/Yanagisawa_992_alto.htm

If your gonna buy an Asian horn check out Barones. Third the price, more character in the sound for me with my big-bore Vintage model. www.philbarone.com

As for mouthpieces and reeds go, well, what direction do you wanna go with your sound? Bright, dark, edgy, smooth, buzzy, etc? Post a sound or Youtube link and we'll help ;)

Welcome to the forum!

P.S. - A new mouthpiece and reed combo will ultimately take you further tonewise than any horn will, do start near the mouth whenever upgrading. I only say to change horns if there are annoying subtleties tonally or the ergonomics and keywork get in the way. But that's just me.....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response! I will post or attach a sound clip tommorow.

I am looking for a smoother sound, but i know very little about mouthpieces. I practice maybe 3 times a week for about 40 minutes a session. Currently i play on strength 3 rico royal reeds. Also, how can i tell if a mouthpiece will fit on
a sax neck? Or is sizing universal? Is Phil Barone a reliable brand? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
While the size of the bore (part that slides onto the mouthpiece) can vary a little, it is generally universal and will fit if your neck's cork hasn't shrunk too much.
Go to http://www.theowanne.com/mouthpieces101/glossary.php to learn more about mouthpiece anatomy.

You sound like almost like a large chamber kinda guy. What kind of sound do you have now? Have you tried reeds besides Royal Rico? The 4C can be pretty versatile.

And Phil is a very reliable guy, I bought my tenor from him and he is a master at his mouthpiece craft. He has an excellent reputation here at the forum, which he is a member of too.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Saxenthusiast ... I would start off by looking at what horns you can go and play near you. You need to be able to play the horn before you buy it. It may be that some horns ie. Phil Barone may not be locally available for you to try out. I am guessing since you mentioned Kessler you have those locally? My advice would be to play some horns in your price range side by side. There a many out there willing to give their opinions on what they play, but only you know what works for you. I think you would be safe trying out Yamahas, Yanis, Selmers, Kesslers, Phil Barones and Cannonballs.

I think that you will probably get more horn for your money outside of the Yamaha, Yani, Selmer trio if you are looking to buy a new horn. I can't speak for the Kessler and PB horns, but I have a Cannonball Big Bell Alto that is a monster horn. It listed for less than what you mentioned as the price for the Yani above.

If you want to make a bigger change for less money I would think the mouthpiece change would be a better investment if your horn is playing well. What you want it your sound will really determine what you should look at. I WOULD NOT recommend trying to get a new mouthpiece and new horn at the same time at your stage of the game unless your horn is really not playing well. The mouthpiece change will probably take you a while to adapt to. Trying to play test horns when you don't have everything nailed down with your mouthpiece is not all that helpful IMHO.

Good luck!

·
Forum Contributor 2015-17
831 Posts
I have a Yani A-901 and really like it. I've had it for well over a year and no problems. IMO that's all the sax I will ever need. They come with a good mouthpiece and Kessler's will sell you one (demo) for $2,000.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts