Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Suggestions needed for mpc comparable to Theo Wanne Durga Tenor

I've heard all the great things everyone's saying about the Durga, but the price is pretty steep. I wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions for a more affordable alternative for tenor that would be comparable, if not quite as good.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'd suggest 10mfan Black Widow, or as I understood, the Super Black Widow which is coming soon(?). Mark should be able to talk about it to you !

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,962 Posts
Consider a Lamberson DD - I recall seeing one or two in the Marketplace recently.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,951 Posts
Re: Suggestions needed for mpc comparable to Theo Wanne Durga Tenor

I've heard all the great things everyone's saying about the Durga, but the price is pretty steep. I wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions for a more affordable alternative for tenor that would be comparable, if not quite as good.
A mouthpiece is only good if it works for you, there's no magic bullet, ie it's not true the more you pay the better it is.

For example, one of the most underrated and underhyped mouthpieces is Brancher.

Just look around and try stuff out. But beware all the shill or "semi shill" reviews, or gratuitous marketing posts.

·
32,962 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Sure, but this is not the case of the OP so...

I don't really understand this solution to be honest, not being able to post there and sell stuff makes sense, but it's a pity that all the topics where new mouthpiece (such as 10mfan) were presented are no longer readable.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,951 Posts

I don't really understand this solution to be honest, not being able to post there and sell stuff makes sense, but it's a pity that all the topics where new mouthpiece (such as 10mfan) were presented are no longer readable.
Maybe both of you could try the members lounge. Great place for building friendships. It’s not always about the Sax. Being active has its benefits.

·
32,962 Posts
The OP has the tenure, but has chosen not to be a more active participant.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I bit the bullet and went for the Durga 8 Tenor--found a demo model on ebay for about half the retail cost. Still steep, but doable. I've been playing on it for about 6 months, and it really is a great piece for what I play, which is generally pop/rock/R&B with a little jazz. Messed around with a few reeds and right now I'm pretty comfortable blowing a Vandoren Red 2. I still need to experiment with the ligature settings, but the middle notch plays pretty well with that reed. I feel like I can definitely grow into this piece.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
3,286 Posts
I've been playing on it for about 6 months, and it really is a great piece for what I play, which is generally pop/rock/R&B with a little jazz.
Agreed. I play primarily blues, R&B, rock, and a little jazz. I've been on my Durga 10 for about 7 years and have NO complaints at all. FWIW, I use baritone sax reeds on it (Bari Rico Orange Box 4's). Give it a try, it may surprise you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts