Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,580 Posts
I don't know about the Comm I but I have a Comm III and it is anything but compact and focused.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Committee I is much more directional and focused. Has almost no bell flare. The Martin is huskier, darker and more spread sound. More edge to the sound possibly. The Committee I is more punchy and dry sounding. Committee I is more compact.

I have owned Committee I, II and III many many times is tenor and alto and still own my favorite Committee I tenor.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,212 Posts
Owning both Martin tenors, I agree wholeheartedly with SimonJazzSax' comments.

Also, the Committee I tenor bell flare is similar to that of a Buescher series I tenor.

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts
I'm pretty much in agreeance with the assessments voiced thus far. I would say that the Committee III while lush and spread, it isn't as spread and has a bit more focus than the Conns are IMO.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Yes, my tech thinks of Martins and Bueschers as being in between Selmers and Conns/Kings in terms of spread.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Martin is huskier, darker and more spread sound. More edge to the sound possibly. The Committee I is more punchy and dry sounding.
Thanks everybody! So you guys think The Committee I is more focused. I was curious because I'm thinking to get a Martin myself, probably a III.
I recall reading somewhere that older Martins (possibly the earlier Handcrafts, are more spread and "boomy" than the later ones). Simon, I'm a bit confused by the terms "darker and with more edge" as well as the difference between "huskier vs. punchier", but my initial curiosity is answered. Anyone thinks otherwise?

·
Banned
652 Posts
I have a related question. I have a 1928 Martin Indiana alto, and as far as tone goes, it's by far my favorite alto, possibly my favorite horn. I play it with a Beechler (plastic) or a Selmer Soloist (metal scrollshank D) and it just sings, nothing really compares IMO. But I really, really, really, really, HATE the ergonomics of this horn. Sooooo....I was wondering if any of you knowledgeable Martin enthusiasts could recommend a Martin with the same tone as the Indiana, but perhaps more comfortable ergonomics? Like something a pro could play without hurting himself? Thanks!

·
Banned
2,844 Posts
I don't think the Indiana was made in 1928. Does yours have the adjustable right hand thumb rest and left hand heart shaped thumb rest? What don't you like about the ergos?

·
Banned
652 Posts
I don't think the Indiana was made in 1928. Does yours have the adjustable right hand thumb rest and left hand heart shaped thumb rest? What don't you like about the ergos?
Oh really? Well I looked at the Martin SN charts and the 79XXX range comes up as 1927, so that's where I got that idea. But I suppose they could have had a different system for Indianas.

Anyways, The ergos are very awkward for my right hand, especially my ring finger which is always tripping over stuff and my pinky which gets tendonitis from reaching. I also had a 1924 Martin Bb Soprano I sold because it made my hands hurt. But I have a 1923 Martin C Soprano that is a lot better for some reason. Still not easy to get used to but at list I'm not getting sore hands and tenonitis from it's awkward ergos.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
79k would be a 1927 Handcraft. The numbers for the Indiana started in the mid 40s.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Thanks everybody! So you guys think The Committee I is more focused. I was curious because I'm thinking to get a Martin myself, probably a III.
I recall reading somewhere that older Martins (possibly the earlier Handcrafts, are more spread and "boomy" than the later ones). Simon, I'm a bit confused by the terms "darker and with more edge" as well as the difference between "huskier vs. punchier", but my initial curiosity is answered. Anyone thinks otherwise?
I completely agree with the previous descriptions, also I think that the difference is quite big for instruments being only about 20 years apart and from the same company. Since they are very different, if you have the opportunity to try both, do so! (One other point to consider is ergonomics: as much as I love my Handcraft, the Committee III plays much easier! )

1 - 13 of 13 Posts