Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is an off shoot from a previous discussion about thick vs thin pads on martin saxophones. Somebody mentioned how the key heights on a martin commitee II saxophone were very low. My saxophone repairman noticed this as well, and said that the key heights were too low and must be opened up in order to make it play in tune (I bought the horn with a real lousy overhaul, I can't wait for the cheap pads on it to wear off). He did just that, and did improve the horn's intonation and response. But after reading the comment on how the martin Comm II was meant to have low key heights I'm concerned that I've altered the horn in a negative way. Do I have a reason to be worried?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Great Bloke.
2,968 Posts
The horn will play much better with thin pads in it. If I was inyour position then I would go for an overhaul with the correct sized pads rather than putting up with a make do job. Make do jobs tend to cause us as players to compensate and adjust which in turn leads to bad habits that adversely affect how we play.

A well set up vinatge horn with the correct pads, swedged keywork and well regulated set up will last you a long time before it needs doing again. In the end it costs you less and takes one of the question marks out of th eequation with practising. You will also surprised at how a good working horn makes you want to practise more.

The only negative is the initial cost!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,034 Posts
As long as the pads are not tooooo thick, the key opening can be increased by sanding the corks. No big deal but care must be taken to get the R and L stacks together.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts