Sax on the Web Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
I bought an ozone/hydroxyl generator from Amazon a few months ago. There was a piece of paper in the box indicating that if I got onto Amazon and wrote a 5 star review, I would get a gift card. The device worked fine, but no way would I be willing to do something as phony as giving them a 5* review in return for a gift card.

·
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
29,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Sadly this is the world we live in, it's double edged sword. People go by reviews which can be fine if your are reviewing something as objective as the thing working or not, or things that go right or wrong with cusomer service. The problem is when people believe subjective reviews which applies to us in regard to mouthpieces and instruments. So may times I see "I;ve dome my research and so I am going to get mouthpiece x...(or whatever) when at best the so-called research is based on subjective reviews but at worst could be a shill reviews or one of those influencer videos masqreading as reviews whose instigator is getting a kickback when you use the coupon.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,397 Posts
I bought a bottle of German Riesling yesterday from a bottle shop.
I went in there looking for a Schloss Leiser Riesling we had recently at a restaurant.
I asked a staff member for help finding it.
He said he knows the Riesling but they don’t have it in stock and suggests another German Riesling that is similarly dry.
Of those on the shelf it was one of the cheaper ones.
He than said my name’s Jeff,
I looked at him strangely and he said “you’ll need to know that when you call to thank me”.
The bottle’s in the fridge chilling.
I hope to be calling Jeff shortly after lunch today.
He’s a paid staff member, should I have taken that into consideration before I bought the wine?

·
3,098 Posts
I bought a bottle of German Riesling yesterday from a bottle shop.
I went in there looking for a Schloss Leiser Riesling we had recently at a restaurant.
I asked a staff member for help finding it.
He said he knows the Riesling but they don’t have it in stock and suggests another German Riesling that is similarly dry.
Of those on the shelf it was one of the cheaper ones.
He than said my name’s Jeff,
I looked at him strangely and he said “you’ll need to know that when you call to thank me”.
The bottle’s in the fridge chilling.
I hope to be calling Jeff shortly after lunch today.
He’s a paid staff member, should I have taken that into consideration before I bought the wine?
This is a good point, BUT, Jeff still gets paid (unless he owns the store and isn’t someone else’s employee) whether he sells you that bottle, a different bottle or any bottle at all for that matter.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I endorse three saxophone related companies without getting paid, just a discount on products. I wouldn't endorse them if I didn't like or use their products. When I switched from one mouthpiece maker to another, I informed them and they were polite and removed me from their website. No hard feelings. I will switch again if I find something that suits me better. I only inquire about an endorsement after I decide I like the product. I have a tiny bit of presence and credibility so I'm way down the list of endorsers at these companies.

·
8,397 Posts
This is a good point, BUT, Jeff still gets paid (unless he owns the store and isn’t someone else’s employee) whether he sells you that bottle, a different bottle or any bottle at all for that matter.
True, but if I make that phone call later and thank Jeff for his recommendation, it puts him in a better position with the company.
Regardless of how nice the wine is, I’m probably not going to make that call.
However I’ll make a point to thank Jeff next time I pop in.

·
Registered
Keilwerth saxes (S/A/T), Selmer clarinets (S/B), Altus Azumi flute
1,588 Posts
Of course, but I'm not sure I understand your point.

This thread is about disclosure of one's financial interests in a product review. If you're handing the person who made the recommendation your money (as in your anecdote), then the fact that the recommender has some financial interest in the sale is pretty obvious, no? Disclosure would be redundant.

·
8,397 Posts
Of course, but I'm not sure I understand your point.

This thread is about disclosure of one's financial interests in a product review. If you're handing the person who made the recommendation your money (as in your anecdote), then the fact that the recommender has some financial interest in the sale is pretty obvious, no? Disclosure would be redundant.
I guess the point I was trying to make was that although Jeff may have had some financial or other interest in this sale, he still recommended the cheaper of the wines because he believes it to be the better.
So assuming that because someone has a financial interest in selling or promoting an object, it doesn’t always mean that what they say about the object should not be believed.
Jeff could have steered me towards a much more expensive bottle of wine if financial interest was his main objective, however he gave me his recommendation based on what I said I liked about the other wine instead.

I’ll give my verdict on said wine after lunch today.
I’m tipping that Jeff knows his Rieslings.

·
Registered
Keilwerth saxes (S/A/T), Selmer clarinets (S/B), Altus Azumi flute
1,588 Posts
I guess the point I was trying to make was that although Jeff may have had some financial or other interest in this sale, he still recommended the cheaper of the wines because he believes it to be the better.
So assuming that because someone has a financial interest in selling or promoting an object, it doesn’t always mean that what they say about the object should not be believed.
Jeff could have steered me towards a much more expensive bottle of wine if financial interest was his main objective, however he gave me his recommendation based on what I said I liked about the other wine instead.
Right. I agree completely with you.

But, again the point of the thread is not to imply that people who have a financial interest in what they are promoting shouldn't be trusted, but only that they should disclose their interests. Then you can make your own decision about how much to trust their recommendations in light of that information.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,251 Posts
I see nothing wrong as long as they are up front about it..
I see everything wrong with it, as it effectively amounts to relentless bumping of sales threads, something regular members are prohibited from.

·
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
29,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 · (Edited)
it, as it effectively amounts to relentless bumping of sales threads, something regular members are prohibited from.
Bumping of any sales threads by anyone, whoever they are, is against the rules.

it is the same for regular members, premium members and Vendor members.

There is nothing in place to actually prevent it, but unless a mod happens to notice it (and we cannot see every single post) we rely on members reporting those violations.

So if you see a member getting away with it, the reason isn’t that they have any special privileges, it is purely that they must have slipped under the radar.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Reviews are written either for advertising or to make money and earn money. It's better to go to TikTok and get subscribers there. "Live" subscribers are real users of the Tik Tok service who will personally browse and like the content then surely will not cause any suspicions from the administration of the social network. Of course, they will cost more than bots, but the effect of their purchase will be the maximum because these followers with high probability will view new videos that are posted on the channel, and will perform other user actions: like the content and subscribe.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts