Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wasn't particulalry looking to buy another horn, but I have come across what I think is a pretty good deal on a stone series bari. It has been a while since I have done much bari playing. I was wondering if any of you out there might be able to give me an impression on how they have compared to other horns you have played. I have a stone series sop and alto already and have really liked those. Just wondering if the bari line holds its own?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Saxus Envious Curmudgeon
3,860 Posts
If it is a Raven model, and it probably is, then yes...it will more than"hold its own". These are fine baris...mid-range is better than a Conn 12M, IMO, and the upper range is good and in tune too. The lower end is great for rock or fusion, but will serve you well in every genre. If you can get one for around 3k, that is a good deal....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,993 Posts
New or used? I've tried a few now and think the CB baritone saxophones might be their best horns, though nowhere near let's say a Selmer Series II bari. There were asking around $3,500 for them new, but I thought that was a tad steep considering what you could buy used for that amount.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is a used horn. And they are asking less than what Randall said might be a good deal.

Randall .. as always thanks for your comment.

Grumps ... interesting that you think the bari line is their best. Although to be fair, there is no way I am going to get a Selmer Series II for less than $3000.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,993 Posts
Grumps ... interesting that you think the bari line is their best.
It's a relative comparison. I do not favor their tenors, altos and sopranos at all. The baritones surprised me, but when I tried the Cannonballs I had nearby Yanis and Selmers to compare them to for a bit of perspective. I must say however, I don't like the new III bari, and much favor the II.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
New or used? I've tried a few now and think the CB baritone saxophones might be their best horns, though nowhere near let's say a Selmer Series II bari. There were asking around $3,500 for them new, but I thought that was a tad steep considering what you could buy used for that amount.
My stone series bari (black/gold) was one of the ones Grumps has tried. I don't have the cross-brand comparison perspective. All I can tell you is that mine sounds very nice to me in an absolute sense, has drawn compliments from other players, has impeccable intonation from low A up to the palm keys, has a smooth, almost tenor-like action, and has held its seal and regulation exceptionally well in the almost six years since I bought it.

I could not justify the price of a Selmer, since I really only "double" on bari, in that I don't play it as my preferred member of the sax family.

I also play Cannonballs in other members of the sax family, but these I think are better specimens, where several cannonballs I evaluated at my local dealer were just sort of "meh."

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This horn is all gold lac. I have a sense that either the shop really wants to move it or they aren't exactly sure what they have. There may be more to follow on this one.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
This horn is all gold lac. I have a sense that either the shop really wants to move it or they aren't exactly sure what they have. There may be more to follow on this one.
What do they want for it? I would say that $3k is an "OK" value, $2500 a good value, and $2k or less an outstanding value in a bari if it's in really minty shape.

·
3,860 Posts
For a gold laq CB bari (not the best sounding of the finishes...the Raven definitely has a better sound of the 4 CB baris I have played), 2 to 2300 would be a decent price. Also, a baritone that is a DEAD ringer for the Selmer Series II is the Antigua baritone.....just saying... ;)

·
Registered
274 Posts
I've had my Black/Gold Cannonball bari for around five years and the only problems I've had with it have been self-inflicted. My tech put teflon on the linkage arms on the low A, Bb and B keys which really helped the lower action. I also replaced the case with something that would fit in my car.

However, one of my students bought a Cannonball bari and as I was trying to get him to play a passage from low B to G# by just keeping the B key down we discovered that the little metal piece that articulates those two keys was missing!

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Randall ... it wasn't my fav in the alto or the sop either. But I was buying from the new stock on those, so I chose what I wanted from everything I could play. This is a little different story. The are advertising it at $2400 currently.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I must say that i generally do not like Cannonballs.
There are some schools in my area that have them. When they come in for repair and i bend back the
"side B Flat key " so it's seating again! I'll pop on a mouthpiece to try it.
I am always suprised to find myself saying " i likey"
" only the Baris"

·
3,860 Posts
Doc, if it is used, then I would go for it...that is a pretty decent price for a very good horn. You may even get them to knock a hundred off? ;)

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Randall I just went to play it. It plays pretty well. Cosmetically it is near flawless as well. There was a Brilhart Ebolin mouthpiece in the case. I am not sure it will be my cup of tea for most of the playing I will do. In fact I have not been able to find out any information on that piece. The story behind the horn is a sad one. They got it from a kid who needed to pay college tuition. Based on the price they are asking, it means they didn't pay him much for it. Too bad he and I couldn't have skipped the middle man and made it better for the both of us. We'll see what I can work out with them on a final price.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Randall I just went to play it. It plays pretty well. Cosmetically it is near flawless as well. There was a Brilhart Ebolin mouthpiece in the case. I am not sure it will be my cup of tea for most of the playing I will do. In fact I have not been able to find out any information on that piece. The story behind the horn is a sad one. They got it from a kid who needed to pay college tuition. Based on the price they are asking, it means they didn't pay him much for it. Too bad he and I couldn't have skipped the middle man and made it better for the both of us. We'll see what I can work out with them on a final price.
I'm sure the kid took a BRUTAL bath on what the shop gave him for it! His loss is your gain. Note that I spent a bit of time trying to find a good piece for mine. I tried Rico Metalite, a couple Vandorens, and other cheap pieces. I settled on a Jody Jazz ESP 6 with the spoiler in, after getting a trial from Jody. I get a Ronnie Cuber-ish punchy sound with this, but I'm on the lookout for a sweeter sounding "anchorman" piece.

·
Registered
315 Posts
An old bandmate had one , and it was great. We played rock/fusion/funk, and all over the horn was very good sounding. I would say, even not playing it, if it's a good bargain, I would think you wouldn't be dissapointed. He used a wide open piece and put a lot of air through it, and soloed a lot.Very nice horn, I would say. Even throughout all ranges. I never played it, but if i saw one for a good price, and had the money, I would grab one. Good luck with it!

p.s.He used a Berg Larsen with a huge tip opening. He also had some scratches in the black laquer, as it was a Raven, and had all that removed. Not that laquer affects tone. He bought his around 2003 or 2004 I believe. I still can't fathom how much air he put through that.

·
3,860 Posts
Doc..yeah dealers usually pay very little and sell for double what they paid or sometimes more.
May I suggest a high baffle mp for this horn...an RPC or even better, a Yani metal #7. These are the two pieces I found that worked best. Soft reeds.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was thinking about possibly looking into the Ponzol line. I have an ML on tenor that I like (although that horn is a Yamaha) and have both a HR and SS for the alto. I am not sure I want to drop the cash for the SS Bari so maybe try an M1. Any of you tried that.

SaxGuy ... can you find an JJ ESP anymore?
Randall ... I played a Yani or Tenor for a long time before the Ponzol ultimately beat it out. Everyone I have know who used a Yani on Bari was pretty happy with them.

I started off as a clarinet player, so the bari mouthpiece has always been a bit of a strange feel for me. Will probably end up on something that is narrow beaked I am guessing.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,831 Posts
You'll love a metal Berg Larson if you want punch, and a narrow beak. Can't be beat! A Berg 110/1/M was my go to piece until I bought a Drake Custom (but, had it built w/a Berg-like Chamber and baffle :) ), at a 115 tip.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts