Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received a Comm I alto last week, original lacquer, amazing condition.
it will need some work, but it really plays. Such a focused, vibrant sound. Reminds me of a dark selmer balanced action, utterly different to the Comm iii I played for 10 yrs.
Wondering what the original resos on these would have been? Rivets?
Given the recent discussion about Chinese horns it’s worth noting the instruments like this can be found cheap.
Musical instrument Gold Saxophone Music Wind instrument

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
5,122 Posts
I received a Comm I alto last week, original lacquer, amazing condition.
it will need some work, but it really plays. Such a focused, vibrant sound. Reminds me of a dark selmer balanced action, utterly different to the Comm iii I played for 10 yrs.
Wondering what the original resos on these would have been? Rivets?
Given the recent discussion about Chinese horns it’s worth noting the instruments like this can be found cheap.

Just guessing on the original pads, but they were probably plain rivet pads for that era.

I have one of these and a Martin Troubadour alto -- never tried a Comm III alto.

How would you compare this one and the III you played for years ?

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
4,001 Posts
Wait til you try a Committee II in perfect mechanical shape. They are top of my list for "best vintage alto" ever. Super rich and complex tone, amongst the best intonation ever, comfy ergos, mouthpiece versatility, they literally have everything.

The Comm I and III are great horns. On tenor I highly prefer the Comm III, but for alto, nothing beats a perfect Comm II.

·
3,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just guessing on the original pads, but they were probably plain rivet pads for that era.

I have one of these and a Martin Troubadour alto -- never tried a Comm III alto.

How would you compare this one and the III you played for years ?
The Comm iii was big and spread, but quite a velvety/lush sound.
This Comm I, although it doesn’t work properly at all, is very focused, not nearly as spread.

·
Registered
VI Soprano, Searchlight Alto, TH&C Tenor
1,730 Posts
I still got a I stashed away in Asheville. Such a robust build, it almost felt like a tenor, so much so that I sent away for a STM piece to mate with it. But I’d already relocated before I finally received it, so can’t wait to hook the two of them together. Really, that alto is so mouthpiece friendly, its almost like having multiple horns. (Mine is no way anywhere as beautiful as yours seems to be. A nice piece of art deco!)

·
5,913 Posts
I have an uncanny knack for finding horns in original condition. A committee with the lion and crown. Also a committee with the New York skyline. Both have flat metal resonators. neither look like they were ever played. I’m pretty confident this is original hardware.
The 28 gold plate handcraft I have plays on rivets as does my 25 HC.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I have an uncanny knack for finding horns in original condition. A committee with the lion and crown. Also a committee with the New York skyline. Both have flat metal resonators. neither look like they were ever played. I’m pretty confident this is original hardware.
The 28 gold plate handcraft I have plays on rivets as does my 25 HC.
Nice knack to have!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts