Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
12,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its been a while on this one but we are at the final prototype sage on this piece and Im really excited. One more tweak because Im obsessive and we are there.

The Impulse is inspired by Sonny Rollins. Its not a copy but it is inspired by the Berg vibe. Its machined from German Hard rubber and extensively hand finished and play tested. Its always hard to nail down a super clear comparison but if you were comparing to bergs I would say it is closer to a chamber 2 than a 1. Probably a 1.75. Its got a great sold core, enough warmth to keep it complex and fantastic projection. Articulation is lightening fast, comfortable and easy to control. When I play it my mind goes straight to St. Thomas (at least until I look out the window at the snow).

Being hard rubber I can make it in pretty much any size. I expect it to be ready to roll in a month to 6 weeks.

The price point will be the same as the Phil-Tone Le Son

385 USD

370 Euro

The first few runs are short...many are spoken for by vendors but I will take pre-orders if someone wants to get their hands on one ASAP.

Thanks,

Phil

Edit: This is for Tenor

·
12,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry yes. Tenor

I will have pics soon.

The beak is a cutaway design...like my other pieces but not as fat.
Ive never liked the straight clarinet style beak...they feel too much like a mouthfull and its hard to get a stable grip ..so to speak.

·
12,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Simon, do you mean a shot from the shank forward?

If so I can work on it.

As for sound clips I dont have any yet, nor do I have my stock to make pieces at this time.

it will be a few weeks before I have clips since I have to ask someone else to do it. I have no recording gear.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Simon, do you mean a shot from the shank forward?

If so I can work on it.

As for sound clips I dont have any yet, nor do I have my stock to make pieces at this time.

it will be a few weeks before I have clips since I have to ask someone else to do it. I have no recording gear.
Yessir! Shank forward :)

This has definitely peaked my interest as I'm back on a HR kick.

·
12,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
By the way I make this pieces leans towards a berg 2

It can be as bright as a 1. Whereas berg changes the angle of the table to make the piece brighter I can accomplish the same edge while maintaining a the fatness and core of a slightly larger chamber than typically found in a 1. This is accomplished by altering the length and angle of the initial baffle.

I will likely designate this on pieces by the standard version being simply called the Impulse and the brighter version as the Impulse b ...something like that. Honestly, I have not had a lot of time to worry about names at this point. If someone has a better idea of how to distinguish the brighter vs standard model Id be open to suggestions. I do not really want to use Berg lingo as technically its also no direct copy of any berg. Its based on experience I have had with a number of iterations of bergs and berg like pieces.

·
12,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The first batch is done and will be shipped to me this week....So I will have them in a couple of weeks.

I will announce when they are here and quite possibly a SOTW discount for initial orders.

Once they hit the stores I wont be underselling my vendors.

·
12,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just refaced a stainless berg. It turned out really nice. The pleasant surprise was that the Impulse in any tip size blew it out of the water. A more complex bigger tone, more volume and projection. It is also more responsive and comfortable to blow. Months of design tweaks really paid off!

·
12,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I can make them darker but it would be custom at that point.

...a berg 3...honestly I have not played a berg 3 for years so Id have a hard time guessing.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts