Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys ... I had the chance of a lifetime and I just can't wait to share it.

Ok here is the scoop.

two Mark VI's

144343 - American Assembled, High F#, Original Lacquer, Near Mint

144342 - European Assembled, High F#, Original Lacquer, Near Mint

BOTH overhauled by the same tech at Tenor Madness and tweaked / setup by Randy, to the same exact specs. Same pads, resos, key heights ... EVERYTHING.

I just recorded them both and I'm making a video CLASH OF THE MARK VI'S. I have like 30 minutes of footage and will compile a video that compares them fairly. Yes, before someone asks, I did switch the necks and record [email protected][email protected]!!

I should have the video out next week, but it's just so cool to have 2 horns only 1 digit apart, assembled in different countries, now in freshly overhauled condition!

This post is probably spastic because I've been nerding out all day. SORRY!

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
So cool, mainly because Japanese people here in Tokyo are so insistent that Elkhart "Ame-seru" horns are more "jazz-sounding" than European horns.

Also, could you check the neck octave pip opening and see if the Ameseru is more open? That's another one of the claims about Elkhart horns.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Won’t they both be Iowa Assembled at this point?

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
So cool, mainly because Japanese people here in Tokyo are so insistent that Elkhart "Ame-seru" horns are more "jazz-sounding" than European horns.

Also, could you check the neck octave pip opening and see if the Ameseru is more open? That's another one of the claims about Elkhart horns.
Checked all the specs on the horns already. I have weights and dimensions etc.

Neck tip opening both .505 with the Euro being more round and the American more oval.

American neck is 150g

Euro neck is 161g

American horn is 3115g

Euro horn is 3110g

Both octave pips are identical.

Euro neck is 56mm high from ground to bottom of ring

American neck is 51mm high from ground to bottom of ring.

Brass is the same thickness although for some reason, the American assembled horn is significantly more maleable than the Euro. You could also say the Euro brass is "harder"

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
17,281 Posts
Very nice experiment Simon, looking forward to the video. :)

Did you notice big differences, or do you prefer to wait with that discussion till after you posted the clips?

I can already imagine that the different neck shape makes a difference (from my two SBA necks the one with the highest arc is the brightest sounding. I would also assume that the different necks cause a bigger difference in sound than the two bodies.

·
Banned
58 Posts
Wow. I am surprised by the differences in the neck and the brass of the horns. Begs the question: "what about a couple more Euro vs. American horn measurement comparisons?". I would bet that some of the Euros would be more like the American horn you measured and visa versa, but maybe not.

·
Banned
58 Posts
Also, we need the measurements of a non-high F# from that era. Myth has it that many things were changed on the 6 tenor right around then.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Was the bell to body joint on the originally french assembled horn soldered as part of the overhaul?

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
Also, we need the measurements of a non-high F# from that era. Myth has it that many things were changed on the 6 tenor right around then.
I have a 149xxx original non F# that I can measure.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
718 Posts
Any word on when we can see the video? Really looking forward to hearing and seeing your observations! Thanks!!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts