Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

· Premium Member
25 Posts
+1 to joining a community band, or do something crazy like I did and join a gigging band or 2! I share similar stories with some of you. Sax was my first instrument starting in 5th grade in the early 90s. Never really pursued it, but ended up playing bass. I've played that pretty much non stop for almost 30 years now. In addition to studying music and learning other instruments. I did though, play my alto on and off through out those years, but never committing myself to staying with the sax. Mostly because I had plenty of bass gigs, how could I possibly get sax gigs. Well about a year ago I subbed on bass for this horn band. Played Chicago tunes etc, rock and some oldies. Their sax player moved on to other projects, and the leader remember me mentioning having played sax in the past. I ran with that opportunity. I had a leaky old tenor which I started working on. Got sick of that, and went out and bough a brand new Tenor Sax after a few months of playing mr leaky sax. I also dug out my old altos. I haven't looked back since then. Someone mentioned in the thread its like riding a bike. For me this is very true with fingering. I played trombone consistently for years, way more then sax. I can barley remember which notes are on which position on the bone. But the sax it all came back. What didn't come back and was never really established is embouchure/tone. I don't even want to talk about the obsessive amount of time I spend on one note now. C# in particular. But I can read sheet music no prob, and I can transpose between my tenor and alto. I record alot of my gigs. So I have something to reference, and cry in the corner about. I warn you, the regret can be strong sometimes. But I picked up playing sax in another oldies band recently. Im playing a ton more sax in this band. I'm ok being a rock saxophonist as long as I still get a chance to play the sax. Would I love to play jazz, uh yes. But there quite a few jazz saxophonists around here, but I don/t know of many rock saxophonist. So if I found my niche, awesome! I guess what my point is, find a way to utilize the sax outside of your house playing to backing tracks, and running scales all day. Its at least helped me enjoy playing the sax and sticking with it, finally.

· Registered
Tenor sax mostly, sometimes SAB too
53 Posts
Check out local teachers and maybe take a lesson or 2 with a few over the span of the next year. There’s nothing like an experienced teacher to help give you some ideas. Also hanging with and hearing a great player has always reminded me why I play in the first place! So I like to find teachers who are also players. With that in mind, maybe go check out some local greats too :) and most importantly, figure out whats fun about playing and do that!!

21 - 23 of 23 Posts