Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,540 Posts
I played professionally in the '70s & '80s, burned out on touring, quit the biz to spend more time with wife & start a family & explore other careers. Over the next 30 years I'd pick up the sax from time to time, do a little recording or performing, but never liked how I sounded or felt motivated to build up my chops.

Four-&-a-half years ago I went out to hear some jazz, met a drummer who encouraged me to start attending a weekly public jam session. I certainly sounded like crap at first, but attended faithfully & found the motivation to woodshed seriously between sessions. Took me a while to learn tune structure, repertoire, riffs, harmonic concepts -- 'coz this particular scene was new to me, an opportunity to start from zero with a clean slate.

As I learned the ropes & prior training kicked in, I gained access to, & respect from, better players. Got invited to sit in with bands. Joined other jams. Joined a band. Left that band. Looking to join -- or start -- another band, I'm meeting musicians. Each of them turns me on to new musical concepts & influences. Am playing better than ever, in new directions, filling in the woeful gaps in my musical knowledge. Been digging the process & the accomplishment, the camaraderie, the challenge of an ever-rising benchmark.

There's lots more to do. Dunno how long I'll have. Mind is active, body gradually falling apart, nobody gets out alive. I feel lucky. I feel grateful. I wanna inspire other players as mentors have inspired me. Yes, there is life after music... & what it is, is more music. Be bold. Trust the journey.

· Registered
1,540 Posts
I wanted to be able to sit in with anybody at anytime and be able to hold my own, play any style and have a great sound. I wanted to be able to pick up the Omnibook and open any page and get through it without stopping, minimal mistakes and a reasonable tempo. I accomplished both those goals...
Impressive skillset, Indio. Have you considered giving sax lessons? Perhaps you'd find meaning & motivation that way: distilling the essence of your technical proficiency & paying it forward.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts