Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Researcher
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody recommend a good functional strap that doesn't look dorky? I've been using the trusty Ray Hyman strap since high school, and for some reason have found it uncomfortable lately, maybe because I'm playing more casual gigs and have it directly on my neck instead of over a shirt.

I've tried that sax sling thing and it's nice, but I find I have to keep a lot of pressure on the horn to keep it in place, which compromizes technique a bit.

My only requirements is that it holds the horn securely, is comfortable, and doesn't have one of those thick, goofy looking neck pads. Probably an impossible combination, but just thought I'd ask.

·
Distinguished Member and Forum Contributor 2008
6,395 Posts
Neotech Neo Sling Saxophone Strap

I've settled on using using the Neo Sling strap. It takes the weight off my neck and is not cumbersome like a full harness type strap. I like it best for tenor but it's good for alto if your standing rather than sitting when you play.

http://www.wwbw.com/Neotech-Neo-Sling-Saxophone-Strap-i150175.music

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor
4,379 Posts
I also find the Hyman uncomfortable with a collarless shirt (but great the rest of the time). The new Rico straps seem to be the old Planet Waves straps...soft canvas about an inch wide around the neck, cord in front with a corkscrew hook. They work well and are about the price of the thin Hyman, but more comfortable when you're not wearing a collar.

·
Registered
204 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Frank D said:
Can anybody recommend a good functional strap that doesn't look dorky? I've been using the trusty Ray Hyman strap since high school, and for some reason have found it uncomfortable lately, maybe because I'm playing more casual gigs and have it directly on my neck instead of over a shirt.

I've tried that sax sling thing and it's nice, but I find I have to keep a lot of pressure on the horn to keep it in place, which compromizes technique a bit.

My only requirements is that it holds the horn securely, is comfortable, and doesn't have one of those thick, goofy looking neck pads. Probably an impossible combination, but just thought I'd ask.
My hunt for the perfect neckstrap ended with this beauty http://www.junkdude.com/saxes/planetwavesstraps.htm

I too didn't like those huge neck pads and I really didnt like the clip hooks or the open ones (too risky) .... this strap looks good, is comfortable and very secure. I ordered the leather one because I wanted to look classy :rr: lol and the suede doesnt last too long in my experience (had a suede jacket once..... it was like taking care of a 2nd girlfriend)

Hope this helps

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
12,859 Posts
Ive got the brown leather Planet Waves. I like it. At first too much movement of the sax resulted in slipping but it seems to have settled in. I really like the hook.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Saxus Envious Curmudgeon
3,860 Posts
The Lebayle "be bop" with the removable velcro pad is nice.
But for sheer comfort, nothing comes come close to my Neotech.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,964 Posts
the paul brodie strap was my favorite. dont think its made anymore. still you cant go wrong with the tried &triue ray hyman

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
I like the BG padded leather one - the neck strap is about 2" wide and it has a string connector to a plastic snap hook. I find it easy to use and the connection to the horn doesn't get in the way of the hands.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I've been using the neotech classic for years but always liked the look of those leather 'boot - lace' style straps. I've ordered one of the Ligaphone thin staps and I'm really looking forward to seeing what it's like. Aparently they have a new style hook which is said to be very secure. I'll let you know how it seems when I get it.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
I don't like the bouncing of the Neotech. I lost my tenor/bari strap a few months ago, and it seems nobody sells a strap that has

1. nice padding to be comfy with heavier horns
2. a big hook withouth a snap feature, to enable quick horn changes in a pit
3. easy adjustment

Right now I have one on which I cut off the snap part, but the the hook is so small it's tough to guide in quickly by feel (may only have a couple measures) and the adjustment is a real pain.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Just be careful of what the hook is made of. I recently found out that the strap I've been using has worn almost 1/2 way through the little loop! Now everytime I play, I am afraid it's gonna snap :cry: apparently Steel > Brass :cry:

·
Registered
778 Posts
Hey MM: I had asked nearer to top of this thread at post #9 about the Oleg ErgoStrap. Finally found one and just bought it. Has all three points you want. The best part is that it also has optionally removed or attached (snap on, snap off) suspenders in the back that have a quick snap hook onto your belt loops, thus taking a good amount of pressure off the neck.

So far it's the best strap yet.

Oleg Ergo Strap. Bought it at Lee's Saxworx in San Francisco. Love it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Saxus Envious Curmudgeon
3,860 Posts
Ever looked into the Codera straps?
They are really quite nice and they are great if you are switching between horns all the time, like me.
They have plastic spring loaded snap clips and the padding is not too overdone (and it is removable).

Pricey, but worth it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Speaking of pricey but worth it, I've found the DeJaques neckstraps to be the best designed straps I've tried. Comfortable and sleek, they also have far and the away the simplest/safest clip, which is difficult to describe, but definitely worth checking out.

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
Frank,

I have used a SpinStrap for a number of years, really came in handy after my car accident several years ago. keeps the weight off my neck completely. I know Andrew Clark uses a Bassoon strap that is an over the shoulder model.

Just thought I would throw that out there. I have a Neotech classic, and a couple of old neck straps, I can't even use them.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I have now bought and tried the Spin Strap, the DeJacques, and BG sling, a Neo Sling, and a Oleg ErgoStrap, as well as my own custom design.

Quick impressions:

SPIN STRAP = good concept designed to sling over either shoulder, but really not adjustable enough for my tenor, I could never get the horn up high enough to my mouth. Very frustrating. Well made though. Takes the pressure off my neck so that part is very good.

DE JACQUES = brilliant designed quick release mechanism, solid height adjustment and well made top materials. But, since the strap hangs the weight of the horn around the neck, after a while I feel like it's cutting off my blood supply to my brain...umm, not good. I call these neck hangers: choke tourniquets. Still if I put a scarf or towel around my neck and then put the DeJacques over that, then okay, but hasn't anybody but me figured out how to make a strap that transfers weight NOT to the neck but to the shoulders?

BG SLING = Another good concept very much like the Spinstrap. But poor quality control had this BG sent to me with the strap put on backwards. Not a super big deal, but it made adjusting more awkward. This strap never felt right.

MY OWN CUSTOM MADE = I cannabalized a strap from SaxForte which was another choke tourniquet and had a canvas shop make suspender straps that went down my back and wrapped around my belt with velcro. This completely took to pressure off the back of my neck. I need to make some fine tuning adjustments and will go back to the canvas shop for a re-make when I have time.

NEO SLING = Best sling strap. Quick adjustments, correct height, comfortable, a winner for anybody wanting a sling. Frankly it's a keeper.

OLEG ERGOSTRAP = Best overall strap so far. This is a leather collar with a DeJacques-like lower part though not the patented DeJacques quick release, but instead the Oleg has a quick snap hook, a very good one that I like better than the DeJacque (didn't think I'd be saying that), and best of all, the Oleg has suspender straps down the back that unlike my custom velcro ones, instead Oleg uses more quick snap hooks here to grab onto your belt loops instead of a belt: good idea and it works great. And the suspender straps snap off at the collar if you don't want them. Reasonably good and appropriate height adjustment. This is the strap I am using more than any other. Still I have an idea how to make it better, and am considering ways I might do so.

By the way Randal, I have never tried the Codera strap so would like to hear more detail from you. I am now using the Codera Addjust Balancer...Wow what a great tool.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts