Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been using the strap that came with my 62II alto, and it's really uncomfortable when I'm playing with a t-shirt on. When I tuck it under a collar, it's perfect because it fits right under the collar and the alto weight doesn't bother me. But it's just really irritating and hurts when it moves around. I used to have one of those big Neotech ones Super Soft Strap or something like that, but after marching band I couldn't use it anymore because no matter how many times I washed it I couldn't get the sweat smell out lol. And it'd get really hot everytime I used it because it covered a large region of my neck with a thick pad, so I'd sweat a lot indoors, too.

What's a middle of the road strap that's comfortable, but not gigantic and stretchy? I don't want to be out 100 dollars for one of those high tech straps, though.

Thanks,

·
Registered
125 Posts
I really like the air cell strap that yamaha came out with. It's comfortable and not too big.
(By the way I also had the problem with my neckstrap getting nasty from marching band, which is why I got the new air cell one, and now I have two. One for marching band and one for concert band. It helps a lot.)

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
A Jean-Baptiste neckstrap will get the job done, unless its not covered in sweat. Drenched mine last year during marching band, got tired of the smell, and sold it for twice the price :D bout a NeoTech after that :D but its worse :(

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A Jean-Baptiste neckstrap will get the job done, unless its not covered in sweat. Drenched mine last year during marching band, got tired of the smell, and sold it for twice the price :D bout a NeoTech after that :D but its worse :(
You sold a sweaty-smelling neck strap to someone and made a profit?...

·
Banned
3,000 Posts
If you value comfort, buy a Cebulla neckstrap from musicmedic.com. They're worth every penny.

However, since sweat and its attendant smell seems to be an issue for you, I think you should just buy another Neotech for your marching band activities. Be forewarned, though. As Ansy has indicated, there are sweaty-smelly neckstraps out there on the used market going for twice the retail value. Just play it safe and buy a new one.

Buck

·
Yes, one of the neck strap guys.
135 Posts
SaxMoose- I'm curious if you used a mild detergent when you washed your Neotech strap? Usually in our experience this gets them sufficiently clean, but I do suppose that it's possible that a person's sweat might defeat even the best of detergents!

It sounds like you have the Soft Sax® Strap, but Neotech does make other straps with less bulk and with less stretch. You might want to check these out.

·
Registered
847 Posts
If you value comfort, buy a Cebulla neckstrap from musicmedic.com. They're worth every penny.

Buck
I totally agree- well made, and very comfrtable,-and they seem to stay where they are set!

Very few of the best things in life are "cheap", but these are good value, in a "returningly fashionable ",durable, sort of way.

A Cebulla is a strap to hold on to, and hand on to your kids!

Blowhard2

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm definitely going to be buying two, one for concert and one for marching. I'm probably gonna buy another stretchy one for marching band since it is pretty comfortable and I'll sweat with anything out there, but I don't want one like that for inside.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,096 Posts
If you're doing it right (no matter what kind of gig) it's gonna make you sweat... If you're doing it with feeling even your audience will get hot :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,853 Posts
I have used a Rico padded strap (not the thin one) that is very comfortable, easy to keep clean and inexpensive. Not that bad in the heat also. I wouldn't pay much for a strap. You can only get so comfortable. Paying $70 for a neck strap isn't necessarily going to make holding a horn around your neck any more comfortable than a less expensive neck strap. I prefer my good ol' Ray Hyman and wearing something more than a t-shirt.

·
Registered
496 Posts
The simplest neckstraps work the best. I was happy to ditch my Neotech before I even finished high school. It promotes bad habits and actually provides less support because it is so stretchy and loose fitting.

·
135 Posts
...It promotes bad habits and actually provides less support because it is so stretchy and loose fitting.
This is simply an inaccurate blanket statement. Not all Neotech straps stretch. Some have a generous stretch, some have very limited stretch, and others have NO stretch, so please don't condemn the entire brand based on one model that you did not happen to like.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,853 Posts
...It promotes bad habits and actually provides less support because it is so stretchy and loose fitting.
This is simply an inaccurate blanket statement. Not all Neotech straps stretch. Some have a generous stretch, some have very limited stretch, and others have NO stretch, so please don't condemn the entire brand based on one model that you did not happen to like.
It's great to have info right from the source. Can you possibly post which straps are the generous, limited, and non-stretch? Those would be good names for them, by the way.

·
135 Posts
...Can you possibly post which straps are the generous, limited, and non-stretch? Those would be good names for them, by the way.
The Soft Sax® Strap has the most stretch. It is by far the most popular strap we make (favored by Doc Kupka of Tower of Power).

The Classic Strap™ has a pad made from layered neoprene and a full die-cut elastic for control over the entire surface of the pad. This still allows the pad to conform to the neck and shoulders with less "stretch".

The Wick-It Sax Strap™ has a pad made from "memory foam" for conforming cushioning, but no stretch at all.

I hope this helps. If you need any further info, please feel free to PM me.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor
4,379 Posts
I can testify to the comfort of Neotech's Wick-It strap. I have used on for bari for a couple of years, with no complaints. For safety and quicker changes, I have the steel hook. The plastic coating has split, but that's easily correctable with a couple of dips in Plasti-Coat. But for alto and tenor the thin Hyman and cheap Rico are my choice.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Perhaps a harness would work for you. Many pros use them because it allows them to open up their throat more, and would get rid of the issues. However, i can't stand to wear them myself...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts