Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,653 Posts
Yours does look quite spacious.
But I believe it has happened over the years through various adjustments etc, rather than from the factory.
I think most competent techs could reduce this spacing for you without too much of an issue.

·
8,653 Posts
Hmm. I think I'm going to have to disagree with you. but I'd like to remain friends :)
Unless the posts for the C# key and the B/Bb keys have been knocked around a bit, I'd say that the touches for the B, Bb, and C# keys weren't soldered into place with the precision necessary. I'll never proclaim to be a Martin expert, but I have seen plenty of variability in the spacing on these keys across tenor, alto and bari "The Martin" horns even when the body was straight and the posts were upright. It all comes down to how accurately the touches were soldered to the key arms.

So, now agreeing with Mr B Flat, a tech just might be able to adjust both the B/Bb and C# posts to reduce the gap. That's touch and go on a Martin because the posts may just pull loose with a little tweak and need to be soldered back down. Been there, done that.
You are probably correct that there is a lot of variability in spacings throughout the ranges.
My the Martin baritones were quite tightly space with minimal gaps.
One of them had been meticulously overhauled but the other was quite the opposite, it was a well used and slightly abused ex school horn.
I haven’t owned or had much experience the altos an tenors, so can’t really comment on those.
Perhaps I just got lucky with my two baritones.
Certainly worth having a tech look at it to see if they can close up those gaps for you.
Phil Noy would be the man here in Melbourne.

·
8,653 Posts
Thanks again B Flat. With any luck it will be of interest to Phil. I lurk on the Melbourne Saxophonists Page on FB, I’ll try catching him there.
I’m pretty sure he’s still playing a the Martin Baritone and he was responsible for the overhaul of the one I owned.
He knows these horns backwards.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts