Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I struggle going from low C# to B and Bb on my 1960 Com III tenor. Naturally, I blame the horn, rather than my own deficiencies, thinking the gap in the middle of the key palette is wider than it should or could be, making the move between keys a bit awkward. Here’s mine:
Wood Musical instrument Hardwood Watercraft Metal

Does this look about standard? The gap seems to vary on the horns on sax pics, and is smaller on my mate’s Com III bari - the only other Comm III I’ve seen in real life. Was this variation characteristic of Com IIIs when new? Or does it develop over a lifetime of repairs and adjustments?
My real question, of course: is it easily fixed?
Thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, B Flat, that’s reassuring. The gap’s big enough to require lifting rather than sliding from one key to the other, while it looks like the palette is designed for sliding even where there isn’t a roller. But so far it’s only been a bother with exercises rather than anything I’ve had to play in real life, so something for the next service not an urgent fix.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the responses! Yes, RoarII, it’s the tip of my pinky getting stuck going C# to Bb, the other way isn’t as bad.
Interesting to see there are similar gaps out there and particularly that it wasn’t considered a mandatory fix by Matt Stohrer. It is definitely one I’ll leave to my tech.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Interesting, Jorns. Is re-soldering the key touch in better alignment a viable approach in your opinion?
I’ll still ask my tech when the time comes, but given the cascading problems that you and lostcircuits foresee / have experienced, I’ll be cautious since this is a minor concern on an otherwise good horn.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
JacobMW, your orthodontist has been watching 😄 but ’let the good times roll’ isn’t the cause of this enquiry.

Abadcliche, there’s an entire sax repair course in your answer, thanks for sharing so much knowledge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts