Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One legendary piece that has iconic proportions is Coltrane's soprano version of My Favorite Things. Coltrane did so much with the tenor but I like Coltrane's soprano less every time I hear it.

Somewhere I read that Steve Lacy spoke of Coltrane's soprano as playing it "like a toy." This was, I assume, not a compliment. I have my own feelings about Lacy but I feel that this hits the nail on the head for me.

Have I written something that forever defines me as a saxophonic rube who should forever be banished from this forum?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,163 Posts
Elsewhere on this forum, I wrote once that that solo sounded to me like he was a high school player trying to play jazz for the first time after a few lessons.

I think the reason it's iconic is because it was something new at the time. And if Coltrane was doing it, it must be good. It does have a trance-like quality, which is cool if that's your thing. But in terms of technique and great musical ideas, I don't see them. He did get better at the modal thing as he went along.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
1,020 Posts
Rob
that makes 2 of us, I don't like his sop playing on that tune either. Not a nice tone, not impressed with the improv. But ---who knows in what conditions the recording took place...

·
Premium Member
1,968 Posts
I presume you speak of his first recorded version of My Favorite Things. He recorded it several times, the first one on Atlantic, and there was the live at Newport one with Roy Haynes on drums, and later ones recorded live at the Village Vanguard. I can't remember if it is on the Life at the Half Note, but I think so. THe point being, that the early version was just that, an early experiment with the soprano as a new voice. His soprano playing evolved considerably over the years. There are however many who do not care for his tone on soprano - I'm not particarly enamolred of the insturment in general, but I like Trane's later soprano outings, and I think ideas he found on the soprano later translated to his tenor.

·
Distinguished Colorful Mouthpiece Designer
1,019 Posts
I presume you speak of his first recorded version of My Favorite Things. He recorded it several times, the first one on Atlantic, and there was the live at Newport one with Roy Haynes on drums, and later ones recorded live at the Village Vanguard. I can't remember if it is on the Life at the Half Note, but I think so. THe point being, that the early version was just that, an early experiment with the soprano as a new voice. His soprano playing evolved considerably over the years. There are however many who do not care for his tone on soprano - I'm not particarly enamolred of the insturment in general, but I like Trane's later soprano outings, and I think ideas he found on the soprano later translated to his tenor.
Sure, I wish one day I can play 10% of his early experiment :)

Stan

·
Registered
606 Posts
One legendary piece that has iconic proportions is Coltrane's soprano version of My Favorite Things. Coltrane did so much with the tenor but I like Coltrane's soprano less every time I hear it.

Somewhere I read that Steve Lacy spoke of Coltrane's soprano as playing it "like a toy." This was, I assume, not a compliment. I have my own feelings about Lacy but I feel that this hits the nail on the head for me.

Have I written something that forever defines me as a saxophonic rube who should forever be banished from this forum?
Yep, taking aim at sacred cows around here is fraught with peril.

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
Yep, taking aim at sacred cows around here is fraught with peril.
When it's always the same cow being sacrificed, yeah it gets old. This forum doesn't need this kind of BS anyways. Stan Getz bores me to tears but I don't start a thread about it every two weeks. :tsk:

·
Premium Member
26,254 Posts
admin note

Why is this in the sopranino section?
I've moved this to the soprano section. (though to be truthful, I don't know why. Criticizing a recording and sound that was made half a century ago denies the context in which it was created. Personally, I can't stand Sidney Bechet's nanny goat vibrato, but MAN could he play.)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,325 Posts
Nobody should be banned from any forum for speaking their opinions! That's what these are here for!

But I think his playing on My Favorite Things is awesome. My favorite part of that track (and that whole record) is McCoy Tyner, but I love Trane's playing on that and all his Atlantic stuff, it's my favorite period of his. We all like different stuff for different reasons, and that makes life interesting.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,299 Posts
I love his soprano on "India" and "Afro Blue".

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,594 Posts
I have great respect for anything Coltrane but I also respect other opinions.

·
Premium Member
26,254 Posts
Aside from his playing, I hate that song. It's stupid.
It was originally written to forward the plot to a musical (the Sound of Music). Taken out of context, it could be considered 'stupid'.
The only thing that I can see 'stupid' about it would be the lyrics. In the context of the musical, it's sung as a distraction to reassure children that are frightened by a thunderstorm.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Just to clear up a point, Lacy's comment about "toys" was referring to curved sopranos. Lacy does take some credit for prompting Coltrane to play the soprano, and he certainly respected his playing even if Coltrane wasn't approaching the horn the same way Lacy was. Somebody else (not Lacy) once said Coltrane's soprano playing seemed like it was merely an extension of his tenor, i.e. he treated the horn less as the thoroughly different instrument it is than as a way to play higher, the way his tenor playing was going at that time.

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
Would one of these critics please post their "good" recording of this tune. Or heck, I would just love to hear anything that I can stack up against any of Coltrane's recordings? That way I have a good baseline of what you think makes a quality performance on the instrument or on the tune.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts