Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the yahoo group "Mouthpiece Work" there's a thread where someone posted some numbers supposedly used on Trane's mouthpieces. Here they are :

Tonemaster: 96 tip 26-20-15-12-8
STM: 100 tip 27-20-15-12-8

Is the first number the length of the facing in mm? The guy who posted these numbers states: "Trane's facings were slightly long for the tip openings by modern standards", which is why I'm asking.

If they are, it would seem kind of a wild facing length for such small tip openings, wouldn't it? I mean 27mm on a .100 tip? :shock: But that would explain why he took so much mouthpiece in...

·
Forum Contributor 2011-2015
2,048 Posts
I have some different numbers of the one I have measured, the tripple ring Link featured on some photos.

·
2,048 Posts
I have some different numbers of the one I have measured, the triple ring Link featured on some photos. On the contrary it has very short facing.

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks to me like some info is missing.
Hmmm, I don't know, I'm no expert. :)

I have some different numbers of the one I have measured, the triple ring Link featured on some photos. On the contrary it has very short facing.
That's what I would have thought to. What's that triple ring you're talking about?

·
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,102 Posts
Hmmm, I don't know, I'm no expert. :)

The poimnts of the curve don't seem to have distance from tip

This is the format for a typical mouthpiece measurement (in mm): (niumbers have been changed slightly to protect confidential information)

Tip opening 2.80mm @ 0.65 - midpoint of inner tip rail, then feeler gauges at following distance from the outer tip.
0 @ 30.5mm
.05 @ 26.65
.2 @ 21.7
.5 @17.5
1 @ 12.97
2 @ 6.4
2.5 @ 3.69

The numbers you quoted could have been the points at which the opening was measured (along a 27 mm curve), but the actual openings at each point are missing. And it would be nice to have something closer then 8 mm from the tip.

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The numbers you quoted could have been the points at which the opening was measured (along a 27 mm curve), but the actual openings at each point are missing. And it would be nice to have something closer then 8 mm from the tip.
Got you. It seems there are several pieces of information missing then...

Hmm, I can't access the picture. :crybaby:

Oops... there's nothing to see here. Either you do not have access to these photos, or they don't exist at this web address. Please contact the owner directly to gain access.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
13,194 Posts

·
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,102 Posts
When I get a mouthpiece back from Brian Powell he just has numbers for the measurements like 10,16,21.5,30.5,42 .080 Couldn't the first numbers be this kind of measurement?
Yes, if you know the measurer is using a "standard" e.g it's understood measurements are taken in every x mm or x thou increments away from the tip. I don't know whether in that case it's a standard, or something specific to the refacer. My own experience is only in relation to the way Ed Pillinger does it when I work with him so I don't pretend top be the complete expert of course..

But in the example I gave it's obvious at which point along the facing each measurement of opening is, and there is a reason for those points appearing to not be in uniform increments, e.g. every x mm along the facing. This is to get the best points to plot the curve, and they won't necessarily be at even intervals because a mouthpiece facing can start with one curve and change to another along the way and even flatten out at points.

·
Registered
956 Posts
So, what a minute, Saks'...you're sayin' that the "triple ring" that you have (I've seen the pix before, can't access these, fwiw) IS the EXACT same one that Coltrane had???
or just another one like it?

You know, Steve Grossman used to have one, also. I think he's playing it on the cover of "Way out East"...my LPs are in storage, so I can't easily check, right now.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Mouthpiece Maker
1,816 Posts
I always assumed these were numbers with a glass gauge in mm and Erick Brand size feelers (.0015, .010, .024, .034, .050 inches).

When I get a mouthpiece back from Brian Powell he just has numbers for the measurements like 10,16,21.5,30.5,42 .080 Couldn't the first numbers be this kind of measurement?

PS. that's for an alto mouthpiece above.
Presumably this will be on a Morgan kit -- glass gauge in 1/2mm, same feelers as Brand IIRC.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Sak, if these numbers are right, or if you could get the correct numbers, I'd certainly be interested in a casting with Trane's tip and curve. Yes, it's the archer, not the arrow, but it would be fun to try it!

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
2,048 Posts
It is the Trane's piece. I took the measurements, played it. It has additional translucent baffle in place. If you can't see the photo google sakshama picasa triple ring and something will come out. I can put the Trane curve on my Florida pieces if there is interest for sure.

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If you can't see the photo google sakshama picasa triple ring and something will come out.
I just did and it doesn't show up. I think you may have changed the settings for this photo album, to private...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts