Sax on the Web Forum banner

Coltrane's lost album

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  DanPerezSax 
#1 ·
#5 ·
Trane fans (and who isn't?) will definitely want to check this out. It ain't nothing but the Classic Quartet playing with all their usual passion and authority in Rudy Van Gelder's studio in 1963. Sound is quite good, although mono, and the playing is, of course, sublime.

#6 ·
I've had it on loop for a few days. Loving it. Didn't know the tune Vilia, but I'm hoping I get a chance to play it with people soon. Those numbered tunes are prolly gonna be standards, too. I agree with several people I've seen posting on facebook, though: we gotta come up with a musicians' nickname for those. Who can remember all those digits?!

#7 ·
"Vilia" is from Lehár's The Merry Widow. It was a big hit for some tenor (singer) around 1960. As for the numbered titles: there are only two of them. I call them "One Thirteen Eighty-three" and "One Thirteen Eighty-six." Easier to remember than "Eleven thousand three hundred and eighty three/six."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.