Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8,389 Posts
I wonder why they didn't offer the developer buy the property on the condition of some kind of minimal rehab of the house.
I would donate a few bucks if they would let me go practice in Coltrane's studio.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
That looks to be a brick veneer early 1960's ranch style home with about 2000 s.f. and a small upstairs loft built into the attic. The lot looks fairly large but it's hard to tell from the photos.

Fixed up, that's about a $150K home at best where I live. In it's current condition, it would probably bring around $60K at auction. Renovation, even to commercial wiring specs, should only run about $100K. I'm sure costs at on Long Island are considerably higher. But I really can't see needing a million dollars to fix it up unless they are going to have to buy the property itself first.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,228 Posts
You have to remember....we're talking about the New York City metro area. Prices are sky high for everything. Things are a little cheaper here in Jersey where I live, 45 minutes from midtown Manhattan. Homes like this, in prime condition, are selling for around $350,000-$400,000 in my town.

·
2,766 Posts
You have to remember....we're talking about the New York City metro area. Prices are sky high for everything. Things are a little cheaper here in Jersey where I live, 45 minutes from midtown Manhattan. Homes like this, in prime condition, are selling for around $350,000-$400,000 in my town.
A house like Trane's in the Dix Hills school district on the Island will ask over $800k. The Coltrane house will require a complete renovation so $350k is more realistic.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2010-
369 Posts
Trane's house was in Dix Hills, Long Island, NY.

That house in prime condition would go for anywhere in the $850- $1.2M range now, in this market. I am not even taking into consideration the acreage of 3.5 acres which is huge for that area. Most homes on 1 -2 acre lots. Extremely wealthy community.

·
2,766 Posts
I live in Dix Hills. The estste is on 3 acres. The property is alone worth $900,000.
Oh yeah, 3 acres. Then yes, $900k might be about right. I grew up a couple miles from there in Huntington Station.

However, because of it's landmark status, the Coltrane house couldn't be a tear-down. The house should be restored.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,692 Posts
It's just a house. Sheesh...

Enjoy his MUSIC.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Trane only lived in the house for two and a half years. I read he composed "A Love Supreme" in his practice studio there.

·
1,228 Posts
I, too, neglected to take into account the value of the acreage that the house sits on. So I agree with the value that Andy and Saxguy are stating.

John Coltrane was an important figure in American history. I believe it is out of respect for this that we should try to preserve the legacy of the man himself, not just the musician.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,285 Posts
Sorry, it is a knock down house. Maybe sell off some of the land to finance the redo. Like where I live, the land is the value. My house and half acre are worth about $750K but without the house worth about $755K!!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
A house like Trane's in the Dix Hills school district on the Island will ask over $800k. The Coltrane house will require a complete renovation so $350k is more realistic.
I agree. I can easily see the renovation work costing a little more than three times as much on Long Island. But again, are they talking about buying it or just renovating it? There's a big difference if a group already has the property and wants to make it into a museum, or if they want to buy it from the current owners and make it into a museum.

And I don't take offense at the "who cares -listen the to music" crowd. Here in Arkansas, there were all kinds of groups that wanted to turn every apartment and shack that Bill Clinton ever lived in into museums. To this day, there's two Clinton houses in Hope, Arkansas. One is on "the" main road and is actually a museum. If you follow all the signs to the other, you will find is just another little post-war rent house similar to the fifty or so around it. You can't get in and there's really nothing to see. The same is true for an apartment or two in Fayetteville. There's really no point. But if you really want to enjoy some sax-blowing presidential history, the Clinton Library is really where you want to go in Little Rock.

I believe Coltrane definitely deserves a museum or shrine of some type. But based on our experiences with Clinton's many abodes, I figure the best place would be an important past commercial venue like an old club where he played, studio where he recorded, or a brand new jazz museum somewhere on "the" main road. If this house fits that bill, than I'd gladly give a dollar or two. If not, it's just another of many places where he lived and created his music.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If it hasn't already been appointed, I hope they make Rudy Van Gelder's house a national treasure, too.

·
Registered
260 Posts
They said that it would be about a million dollars to restore the house and turn it into a tourist destination. Not only renovations to house, but I sure the million dollars would also cover building a place for parking, gift shop, and also advertisments to get people to show up.

·
6,862 Posts
I agree. I can easily see the renovation work costing a little more than three times as much on Long Island. But again, are they talking about buying it or just renovating it? There's a big difference if a group already has the property and wants to make it into a museum, or if they want to buy it from the current owners and make it into a museum.

And I don't take offense at the "who cares -listen the to music" crowd. Here in Arkansas, there were all kinds of groups that wanted to turn every apartment and shack that Bill Clinton ever lived in into museums. To this day, there's two Clinton houses in Hope, Arkansas. One is on "the" main road and is actually a museum. If you follow all the signs to the other, you will find is just another little post-war rent house similar to the fifty or so around it. You can't get in and there's really nothing to see. The same is true for an apartment or two in Fayetteville. There's really no point. But if you really want to enjoy some sax-blowing presidential history, the Clinton Library is really where you want to go in Little Rock.

I believe Coltrane definitely deserves a museum or shrine of some type. But based on our experiences with Clinton's many abodes, I figure the best place would be an important past commercial venue like an old club where he played, studio where he recorded, or a brand new jazz museum somewhere on "the" main road. If this house fits that bill, than I'd gladly give a dollar or two. If not, it's just another of many places where he lived and created his music.
Be nice if Old Bill ponied up to save this one!

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
I believe his old place in Philadelphia (which he kept even after being at Dix) is supposed to be open to the public though less of a "shrine."

My understanding was that he was on Long Island for 8 or 9 years which would've put him there just about the time he signed with Impulse and left Miles.

I like the idea of a club being the destination. But downtown reatail space (and any clubs left from that era) would be far more expensive to maintain.

3 Acres is a lot of land. Any chance a music college or other educational center would want to or be able to use it as an exclusive and private campus for jazz studies? I don't knwo the neighborhood but doubt it would welcome a larger school like Berklee. But developing the land into an educational center could be special.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts