Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trane's one of my favorites, and I listen to his music a lot, but it just occurred to me recently that Equinox and Cousin Mary are very similar melodies on totally different tunes. You know: ba daaa baaaaaaa. ba daaaa baaaaaaa.... ba daa BAAAA.... ba daaa baaaaa....

Pardon my ignorance, as I'm sure it's been discussed many times (although I did search the forums) but does anyone know any history of this? Which came first, the period, etc. And what other "paired" melodies/songs are out there?

One of my favorites is the Imperial March/Just a Spoonful of sugar. It's just in a minor key, same first couple measures!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,875 Posts
Cousin Mary was recorded on "Giant Steps" in 1959.
I believe Equinox first appeared on "Coltrane's Sound" in 1960.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Cousin Mary: Baaa Daaaa Baa
Equinox: Baa Da Ba Daa Baaa

~-°

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Equinox: Baa Da Ba Daa Baaa
Not at the beginning of the phrases. They both start with the same intervals.

That's an interesting one about Miles' songs, too. I guess if you sell as many records as they do you can do "remixes" (I realize that's the wrong word, and it slightly offends me that I'm calling it that. ;) ) of your songs every once and a while.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
"Cousin Mary" is a dom7-based blues, while "Equinox" is minor blues. However, Coltrane plays C.M. in a way that tricks the listener into thinking it is a minor blues. It is but it isn't. You can play both ways.

·
2,941 Posts
Saxofner, that's by far the best way I've ever seen a melody written in text. I think musical notation is now obsolete.

·
4,147 Posts
dirty said:
Saxofner, that's by far the best way I've ever seen a melody written in text. I think musical notation is now obsolete.

I saw a better one. It was like that, only it had letters instead of the "bahhh" like, AAA C BBBB. The more letters, the longer the note.

·
Registered
711 Posts
littlewailer said:
I always thought that miles davis' songs freddy freeloader and so what were way way too similar. so what is pretty much just staccatto-ing the second note and its kinda different at the turnaround.
Can't hear this at all. Completely different in my book.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts