Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have signed up for an improvisation workshop and one of the tunes we will be doing is John Coltrane's "Dahomey Dance".

I have got the lead sheet for this tune but am pretty nervous about playing it in a workshop environment, so it would be great to get in some practice.

Does anyone have a backing track for it, or even a Band In A Box (BIAB) version that they could share with me ?

Or what about some tips on improvising approaches to use on the song - the concert pitch chords are:

G : F/G : G9 : G9
G/F : F7 : G9 : G9
G/D : F/D : G9 : G9

Thanks

Rhys

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Haha - me too, was googling looking for some resources for this and the other two. Let me know if you find anything and in any case, I'll see you there! The bassist from our big band is organising it. Steve.:rr:

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Seriously, it's just a groove really, hardly any changes as such and Coltrane is doing his modal thing, noodling all over it which I don't intend to try and replicate. It wouldn't be on my iPod, not one of his finest moments IMHO.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Pretty much a blues in g. Can switch between major and minor, depending on the soloists intentions. Great album. One of my faves.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
There is a pretty good Tom Scott version out there to listen to. Maybe even two. Maybe those approaches might grab you more.

·
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Haha - me too, was googling looking for some resources for this and the other two. Let me know if you find anything and in any case, I'll see you there! The bassist from our big band is organising it. Steve.:rr:
Have you been to Marianne's jazz club gigs ? I think I have seen all but one and have really enjoyed them. Great value and a nice crowd.

I'm a bit confused by the different changes Marianne has just sent out, some of the symbols I don't even understand !

G7 : G7 :G7: G7 13
F7 : F7 : G7 : G7 13
D7sus4 : D7+9: G7 : G7 13

These look funny to me - anything like the Coltrane recording ? Noodling I can cope with (but it just sounds like noodling when I do it).

I'll search out the Tom Scott recording too.

Rhys

PS I've made up a backing track using Band In A Box with the style called McCoy2 (or something like that) but I don't have much experience with BIAB.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Hi Rhys, I haven't been to any of them before but I play with Marianne every week with Milestone Big Band and thought this might be a good laugh. To be honest, I thougth Coltrane's playing sounded like noodling on that when I listened to it but I'm sure its been chosen (along woth C Jam Blues) to provide something simple to play over where we shouldn't go too wrong.

·
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is a load of fun for C-Jam
I've always liked that clip - hats are important, but so is the great playing.

Just to make the full set, here is a nice performance of the thrid tune we are doing at the workshop.

It's always good to hear the words sung and I hadn't heard of Tony Lakatos before, but that is fine tenor playing.

Rhys

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
The best fun I've had in searching for versions of our three tunes have been 1) Earl Bostic and 2) Ben Webster playing C Jam Blues, Dave Liebman playing Dahomey Dance and Paquito D'Rivera playing On Green Dolphin Street. Smokin!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts