Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Killing! how does Garzone get the sound he's getting in the 4:40's? Also, why is Lieb's mic setup different from everyone else's i assume one is for soprano, but what's the one by the left hand palm key's? Is it for capturing the high end?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Awesome playing by everyone. But I do not like the way Trane's solo was made into an arrangement. Wynton did the same thing on the LJO take on a Love Supreme, and I didn't like that one either.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
dohertyjazz said:
I hope you have spare pants nearby - you will need them. Consider yourself warned.
Your warning didn't do crap! How about 4 pairs of pants? Nono, make that 5. Geoffrey Keezer's solo was out of this world too! :yikes!:

Man, that's jazz, jazz at its very best. Four very distinct voices on the same instrument. Just shows how different we all are and how jazz welcomes and embraces that fact of life.

Thanks for the links. Man, couldn't stop watching.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Holy cow! If I was there I think I would have fainted.

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
There's a moment in Jack's solo (6:03 to 6:04) where he looks like he's channeling Elvin (living at the time, so I don't know how he did that; astral projection?).

The extra mic is for announcing.

GG's solo at 4:40 is "sheets of sound" style.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I know most were entralled by the saxophonists, but did anyone notice that the tune started with Dave Holland on Bass, and ended with Christian McBride? On maybe they had two bassists going at the same time.

·
Registered
95 Posts
they switch during Brecker's solo, you can hear the bass drop out for a bit, then when McBride comes in the level's a little lower

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008
4,046 Posts
These were great clips. I kind of thought Redman might be out of place, but I liked his and Garzone's solos the best out of all them. I've always said if you put Redman as a sideman and take the pressure of being the leader off him he'll blow you away.

Garzone though is a volcano. That guy is probably the most intense saxophonist living today.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008
4,046 Posts
Garzone is very much an outside player. The public at large isn't ready for someone like him and probably never will.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts