Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if this question belongs in this category, but I'm a junior in high school and I've started looking around for some colleges for classical sax. I mainly want to stay in California or maybe a near-by state for my undergrad studies and move somewhere more prestigious for my DMA (if I get that far). I've hear UC Berkley has a pretty good music school, maybe UCLA? Does it depend on the school or the teacher? All suggestions will be helpful.

Thanks to everyone,
Tadux

·
Registered
138 Posts
I myself am about to graduate from UCLA, as a student of Doug Masek's. UCLA and UC Davis (Keith Bohm) are the only two UC's with classical studios, I believe. Both are great options! (Berkeley DOES have a great music department, but it's mostly academic and not performance-oriented. As far as I know, they do not offer performance degrees.)

Many of the CSU's have classical studios, often larger than the UC's. Check out Todd Rewoldt at CSU San Diego. The University of the Pacific and USC also have classical studios, as do Arizona State and the University of Oregon.

Hope this helps!

Andrew

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Northern Arizona U. grads do pretty well in the Rascher world.
I'm currently studying with Dr. Jonathan Bergeron here at Northern Arizona University. Many players have graduated and done well for themselves in the world. Noah Bedrin is currently playing Bari sax in the Tetraphonics Saxophone Quartet and Dannel on here is now getting a DMA at Eastman and is the Bari sax for the Mana Saxophone Quartet. Michael Mortarotti, alto sax for the Mana Quartet is also a graduate of Dr. Bergeron. The former tenor player for the Mana Quartet, Josh Meyers, also went to NAU.

And to note, all four went to Florida State University to study under Prof. Meigan for their Masters. Dr. Bergeron did both his Masters and DMA at FSU and studied with Dr. Lawrence Gwozdz at Southern Mississippi for his Undergrad in Music Education (Instrumental)

And if you are not into the whole Rascher concept of playing, don't worry. Dr. Bergeron accepts all forms of playing and simply wants to make his students into true musicians capable of playing their best using musicality. He could care less as to what your setup is.

And lastly, I believe one of the most recent graduates auditioned and was accepted into the USC saxophone studio. He is a great player and I'm sure he wouldn't have auditioned there if it wasn't good. Something to look into...

·
Registered
265 Posts
Dr. Alan Durst at CSU Fresno is a great teacher, both classical and jazz, and in my experience, a great guy.
Fresno State's music program seems to get better and better every year, and the tuition won't put you in debt for the rest of your life.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks so far to everybody. It seems that most people are suggesting USC and Northern Arizona though UCLA would be a really nice school to go to. I take private lessons with Todd Rewoldt at San Diego State and really enjoy his teaching style but I'm not sure if SDSU is prestigious enough to get me into a good conservatory in the future. When it comes to music does the school even matter or just the professor you studied with?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Connections help. If you want to study with someone in particular at the grad level, it would help to study with one of their former students. Personal recommendations go a long way in the music world in my opinion.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,620 Posts
Connections help. If you want to study with someone in particular at the grad level, it would help to study with one of their former students. Personal recommendations go a long way in the music world in my opinion.
+1 to this. If you get a glowing recommendation from that someone's friend, you will at least get a foot in the door. Maybe two.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Arizona State is a terrific option that's not far from Cali. Dr. Tim McAllister is one of the leading - if not THE leading - contemporary classical saxophonists in the United States. The class is of a very high level. Definitely worth consideration.

·
Registered
110 Posts
but I'm not sure if SDSU is prestigious enough to get me into a good conservatory in the future. When it comes to music does the school even matter or just the professor you studied with?
Honestly, I would pick schools based on who I want to study with. The prestige of the school only gets you so far (well sadly, i guess it can get some people pretty far when confronted with people that only look at names and overall perceived reputations). You want to go to a place with a teacher willing to put in the extra time and effort to help you succeed. It does help to study with the former student or friend of someone you would like to study with in grad school (as noted by vivace1), however if you do not get along with the person, it will not be a productive undergraduate career. Just my opinion.

Andrewb gave a great list of CA schools. Also, just to note, Dr. Bohm additionally teaches at CSU Sacramento.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts