Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'm a Junior in High School right now and I want to know if any of the people here have double majored in any other subject not music-related. I want to study the saxophone but I don't want to graduate from college not being able to support myself financially. So has anyone here double majored and have a steady financial status with that degree.

·
Registered
865 Posts
There are quite a number of SOTW members/sax players have 1, 2, or more unrelated musical degrees (like Risspoli in Montreal, and few other "in-house" Doctors).

Mine was a bit different: I went back to night classes in local college for Jazz programs, after graduated in Computer Info Science few years before.

Personally, I think it would be so cool if you finished a musical major and make a living out of it too...

·
Registered
402 Posts
I'm a SOTW'er that doesn't have a formal degree in music. While in college I got a BS in Computer Engineering Technology and a MS in Computer Science, in addition to this I declared and completed my liberal arts minor in music (my school didn't have a degree in any sort of musical performance). The minor allowed me to get preferential treatment in taking private lessons, as well as allowing for easier registration into the music classes offered by the Lib Arts dept. The music department liked this minor cause to be in it, they'd "force" a student to be in one of the school's ensembles.

Now a days I still do research in the area of study I worked on my graduate work in (biologically inspired intelligent systems). My actual bread winner job is working for a defense contractor writing firmware, for military grade communication devices/systems.

The job thing really helps me to keep on getting those horns and mouthpieces! As with a lot of SOTW'ers, I just wish I would have some extra time to practice (I've almost thought of taking vacation time for that).

I hope that when you do apply to a school, you take a look at what sort of scholarships/opportunities are offered to you. For what it's worth, the double reed players in my school's Phil and Concert band were offered a scholarship for every quarter they were enrolled in an instrumental ensemble (if only I'd have taken oboe more seriously!).

Remember, even though you may not get a degree in music doesn't mean that you can't go out and play.

What sort of majors are your looking at? What schools, if I may ask? Good luck!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,147 Posts
I am a math education major at Indiana University, but I take lessons as one of my classes (I get 2 credit hours per semester) and also have a class with the great David Baker! If you go to a big school like this, or maybe North Texas or something, you can get a major that will make you some money and "leach" off the music school, kind of like what I am doing.

·
Registered
228 Posts
In your situation I would suggest taking Martinman's advice. Choose a more financially "steady" major and then pick a few music classes to go with it. From personal experience, a double major in music + something else is not fun, and unless you receive a music scholarship or have a strong desire for that piece of paper, it's unnecessary.

·
4,147 Posts
There is also a music minor you could consider. I would do this, but I am not allowed to minor as an education major.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
airmouton said:
In your situation I would suggest taking Martinman's advice. Choose a more financially "steady" major and then pick a few music classes to go with it. From personal experience, a double major in music + something else is not fun, and unless you receive a music scholarship or have a strong desire for that piece of paper, it's unnecessary.
Well I love playing the saxophone but I don't want to be a broke musician and living with my parents my whole life if you know what I mean. I believe taht I will be double majoring but I just don't know what to major in also. I'm so confused. :(

·
13,025 Posts
A music major is not a light major. It is VERY time consuming.

·
4,147 Posts
Yep. If you are a music major - or even a double major - you will have no social life, and not a lot of time to practice if you have any desire to keep your grades up. Some of the music majors I know can only practice for about 2-3.5 hours a day. I can sometimes get up to 3-7 depending on my homework load.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I have to put that in consideration. But I'm not going to college to fool around so that could probably help.

·
4,147 Posts
texacan said:
Yeah I have to put that in consideration. But I'm not going to college to fool around so that could probably help.

The music majors I know only getting 2 hours a day are not fooling around either. They just have a huge course and homework load.

·
Registered
402 Posts
texacan said:
I believe taht I will be double majoring but I just don't know what to major in also. I'm so confused. :(
Have you looked into different types of programs? Have you went to a colleges and career activity? What kind of things interest you? Also, understand that it's OK to start as an undecided major! If you're absolutely set on doing this unknown/Music double major, this might set you back a bit. All in all college is really a time that you can learn 'bout what you want to do, and a place where you can develop those skills.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
dburlone said:
Have you looked into different types of programs? Have you went to a colleges and career activity? What kind of things interest you? Also, understand that it's OK to start as an undecided major! If you're absolutely set on doing this unknown/Music double major, this might set you back a bit. All in all college is really a time that you can learn 'bout what you want to do, and a place where you can develop those skills.
Oh ok I understand that THANKS!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts