Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many of you can tell I live in Texas, and would like to stay in state to go to college. I have been looking at two colleges right now, both about three hours away from where I live currently, both are small schools.
I didn't want to go to UNT (nothing against it), but it is too big and it cost to much.
But like I said I picked, or was picked by two schools. Lets call them A and B.
School A is about three hours away, their is nothing near the college (that I have heard, havn't vistited yet, will visit soon). But they kept pestering me and I told my mom, fine lets just send in an application, still waiting to here back. They don't have that great of a band program, and not a great music ed. area.
School B is about 6 hours away, I mentioned them earlier this summer they sent me a College band thing before I graduated (simple mixup). It cost a bit more then school A, but I have heard good things about its band program.

I talked to my private lesson teacher a few weeks ago, and asked "No bull, how do I play?" he told me honestly your tone is good when you concentrate and you know what to play. He said same with your counting. Bascially I got, you sound decent (overall) when you know what to play.

I would like to be a teacher, either history or band. I would like to play music all my life, and I know I will be happy in either History or Music. I love both of them.

Any suggestions on what school to pick? I will get accepted into both schools as my ATC, and my G.P.A. is high enough. I got like a 3.0, becuase of some goofing off I did as a freshman. But what should I do, I will update when I find out, whats going on between the two colleges.

Any help would be appreaciated.
~Carbs

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,202 Posts
I'll be totally honest with you carbs. With only a 3.0 you'll have some pretty stiff competion getting into the larger schools. Even if your ACT scores are high enough.

Your PT says your playing is good IF you concentrate. The better music programs are looking for people that are good WITHOUT having to concentrate. Plan on doing some nasty sight reading at audition.

You haven't mentioned what the History programs were like at either school.

Another option to concider is going to a Community or Junior college closer to home and transfering to a better school after you have finished with the core curriculum. There has to be one of these close to you that offers an Associate in Inst. Ed. program. They're a little easier on the budget too.

This said,, If you have your heart set on going to either school A or B, you've got some hard work ahead of you to vastly improve your skills.

BTW Many of your classes will require you to write 'papers'. WORK ON THE GRAMMAR AND SPELLING. I'm going to be VERY blunt with you. My 14 year old has better grammar, sentance structure and spelling than you, and she doesn't have to think about it. I'm busting your butt because I want you to succeed!!!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,147 Posts
North Texas is too expensive? Are you kidding???? They have some of the cheapest tuition I have ever seen. You get instate, you know that right? The instate tuition for one semsester is about the same as my room and board! Do these other schools pay for your education or something?

This is my advice as a college freshman-
Teach history. Go to the second school and audition for the band if you are good enough. Try to get a lesson with the sax prof there when you do a campus visit, and ask him/her for their oppinion of your playing. Or, go to the first school, if the band sucks enough you can get scholarships. I know this drummer from my school who couldn't keep time to save his life who got a scholarship to go to this engineering/computer school because they needed people badly for the band.

·
4,147 Posts
bandmommy said:
I'll be totally honest with you carbs. With only a 3.0 you'll have some pretty stiff competion getting into the larger schools. Even if your ACT scores are high enough.

Your PT says your playing is good IF you concentrate. The better music programs are looking for people that are good WITHOUT having to concentrate. Plan on doing some nasty sight reading at audition.

You haven't mentioned what the History programs were like at either school.

Another option to concider is going to a Community or Junior college closer to home and transfering to a better school after you have finished with the core curriculum. There has to be one of these close to you that offers an Associate in Inst. Ed. program. They're a little easier on the budget too.

This said,, If you have your heart set on going to either school A or B, you've got some hard work ahead of you to vastly improve your skills.

BTW Many of your classes will require you to write 'papers'. WORK ON THE GRAMMAR AND SPELLING. I'm going to be VERY blunt with you. My 14 year old has better grammar, sentance structure and spelling than you, and she doesn't have to think about it. I'm busting your butt because I want you to succeed!!!!

I see you posted before me.

I assumed the colleges he mentioned were community, because that is the only way they could be cheaper than UNT. The problem if they are not, is a lot of "real" colleges will not accept credits from a community college, depending on the schools. Heck, some credits from Indiana's sattelite campuses will not transfer to Bloomington.

·
19,202 Posts
I can't speak for the colleges in Texas, but the Community/Junior Colleges in Michigan don't send out recruitment information. Only the State and Private institutions do this.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
3,204 Posts
Bandmommy said:
My 14 year old has better grammar, sentance structure and spelling than you, and she doesn't have to think about it.
Ask the 14-year old how to spell sentence. :twisted:

Serious now, Bandmommy is 100% right. for one about the spelling. I know you hate to be reminded, but you should really work on that, it's all a matter of appearance. A good paper with a bad spelling and sentence structure gets less grades than an average paper with decent spelling. It's not right, but it is like that. They are less interested in what you say than in how you say it.

Second, if your teacher tells you you sound good when you concentrate, put that clarinet aside and focus on the horns. Even better, pick the horn you're more comfortable with, and focus on that one. Your sound and overall playing will benefit from that. At an audition, they won't accept an OK tone because you tried to nail down the black torture stick too.

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
575 Posts
My advice: go to the best music school you get into. Reconsider UNT. They may be blunt, but that is a good thing if you want to be a musician. If you give that a shot and it doesn't work out, the American education system is great about providing second, third, fourth, etc. chances. Failing isn't a big deal, you can always dig yourself out. Also, GPA doesn't matter that much if it was all from your freshman year. Colleges actually like to see a "turn around"...it indicates maturity. Double majoring is an option too. I majored in religion in undergrad but wound up getting a MM in saxophone. Degrees don't matter as much as people tell you. Do well in whatever degree you choose and things will fall in place.

·
3,875 Posts
Carbs, are you reluctant to post which colleges? Those of us who live in Texas may be able to offer better advice if we are familiar with the schools.

The community college idea may not be a bad idea. Some community colleges have outstanding faculty. There's one about 20 minutes from me that has the best jazz faculty in the area, better than any university here. But you'd need to talk to people in your area and find out which CC's are good. I went to a junior college before transferring and getting my degree and it worked great for me.

EDIT TO ADD SOME INFO:

In a general sense, community college can be a good thing if you don't know if you're ready for college. I'm a smart guy, but I got lazy with my school work in high school and barely had an 80 average (different system) when I graduated. But I had a really high ACT score so I really didn't have a problem getting into college. But my lazy habits from high school carried over and I didn't go to class, do any work, and just basically wasted a lot of money. After a few failed attempts (and academic suspension) I ended up just sitting on my butt for a year before becoming bored. I was almost 21 and I was finally motivated enough to get my butt in gear. I transfered to community college and left with a 3.96 GPA and then I graduated from Texas State Magna Cum Laude. If you go to community college and mess up, it's not that bad. You're out less money and the grade doesn't transfer when you go to a university. Plus, you can live at home and save a hell of a lot of money that way too.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
carbs - what schools. This is just another typical, unfocused thread you're starting. Tell us which schools so you can get some realistic, specific information that you can use.

·
3,875 Posts
FWIW, the only schools I can think of off hand that would be about 6 hours away would be Texas Tech and Lamar. :?

Maybe you should consider Sam Houston State in Huntsville. I've known some good players and teachers who came out of there. Shouldn't be TOO hard to get into. When I auditioned, they made it known that they REALLY wanted me to go there and were willing to give me some hefty scholarships.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor
4,379 Posts
Carbs, you have taken a lot of abuse on this forum about your writing and spelling. I want you to know I am impressed by your reaction. You have obviously worked hard on both, and both are greatly improved. Continue the effort you have shown here and you will do well at whatever college you choose.

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
retread said:
Carbs, you have taken a lot of abuse on this forum about your writing and spelling. I want you to know I am impressed by your reaction. You have obviously worked hard on both, and both are greatly improved. Continue the effort you have shown here and you will do well at whatever college you choose.
I'm going to second that, retread. I read Carbs's thread opening earlier and was pleasantly surprised that it was very easy to read and digest. Keep trying with the grammar and spelling and it will improve further. Obviously, I have no meaningful advice to offer re US education but I hope things work out for you, Carbs.

·
19,202 Posts
DanPerezSax said:
Bandmommy: I thought a good player was ALWAYS concentrating!?

There's concentrating, and then there's CONCENTRATING.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
RootyTootoot said:
I'm going to second that, retread. I read Carbs's thread opening earlier and was pleasantly surprised that it was very easy to read and digest.
I third the kudos.

Actually this began on earlier threads, and it's been a noticeable up-hill trip. Good on ye, kid!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
3,204 Posts
retread said:
fourth retread.

I stand corrected : Just keep on working this way, for reasons mentioned above.

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The school are West Texas A&M in Canyon Texas, and the other is Angelo State in San Angelo. Which I think is about three hours away roughly from Denton. The problem with UNT is not the tuition it is the fee's. My PT went their and he said the Fee's matched the tuition.
My parents said that they would pay for my school, but the only pay for a class once, so when I get their I got to bust my butt to only take the class once.
When I play I concentrate (lowercase not upper) on my Tone. I can count fairly well, and I can play the notes easily. But that doesn't matter (in my opinion) if it doesn't sound good.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,935 Posts
Carbs said:
My parents said that they would pay for my school, but the only pay for a class once, so when I get their I got to bust my butt to only take the class once.

When I play I concentrate (lowercase not upper) on my Tone. I can count fairly well, and I can play the notes easily. But that doesn't matter (in my opinion) if it doesn't sound good.
Those two thoughts produce one answer: Don't try to study music while you are committed to a non-music major. It's only four (maybe five) years. Focus on your course material.

If your tone is shaky and your reading only so-so, you are not adequately prepared to be a music major.

·
3,875 Posts
If you still intend to do music, I wouldn't go to Sul Ross. It's a small program in a small school with not a lot of faculty or students. Seriously, my junior college had more faculty and more music majors.

I believe that in order to succeed, you need a situation where you can be pushed but not be overwhelmed. So, for you maybe a medium/medium-small sized program. Some place where there are still good(better) players around you, but not enough so that you get buried and never develop.

I still think you should look into Sam Houston and Stephen F. Austin. They should both be about 3 hours from you too.

You may or may not be, as Dr. G suggests, adequately prepared to be a music major. I know I wasn't. Starting off, my parents would only pay for me to attend the University of Houston. But UH rejected me as a music major and told me they didn't know of another School of Music that would take me. I wasn't ready. But I took time off and studied the horn and was ready when I started back to school. If you're not prepared, it's not the end of the world, but you may have to rethink your options.

P.S. - Do you have any audition music worked up?

1 - 20 of 137 Posts