Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready for my college school of music audition..... and I'm wondering what would be a good concert mpc that would give me the best tone.. or concert sound that will sound good to my judge? Right now im using a selmer C * and I don't think its giving me a very mature sound.. thx for your help guys... price up to $200 is not and issue... :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist / Forum Contributor 2
4,202 Posts
The best advice would be to be yourself. A Selmer D should give you a little more tonal color than the C*. You may want to research into the faculty that plays saxophone and see who they are associated with as well as attempt to find out their setups. It would also be useful to know who they studied with and what other players who studied with the same teachers play. I don't mean to say that you should play the same setup as them but you can learn a lot about their bias by knowing where they come from in terms of background.

If you make a change give yourself lots of time to get totally comfortable with it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
36,473 Posts
Hurling Frootmig said:
If you make a change give yourself lots of time to get totally comfortable with it.
Whew, a big AMEN to that. The last thing that I'd want to do before a life-changing gig is to switch equipment and spend the last hour before the audition wondering if I'd done the right thing. Play what works for you. The mouthpiece is so little of your core sound that it is trivial right now.

Go for the Tone - _your_ tone. Find Your Voice.

·
Banned
2,287 Posts
Another big ditto! Stick with what has gotten you this far, at least until you get through your audition. Investing in some really good new reeds would be a better idea. If you simply must have a new mpc, either follow HF's advice and simply get a more open version of what your chops are used to, or take your C* to a reputable mouthpiece technician to have the facing touched up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wow thx for the advice guys i would hate to think... that my change in mpc might actualy be the problem i face >_<... but i do have about 3 months before the audition... so maybe if i get somthing i like now ill have plenty of time to work somthing out.

·
36,473 Posts
Alto or tenor? How long have you been using your current setup? What about it is "lacking"? Do you already practice long tones and overtone exercises? Are you modeling your tone after anyone in particular? Do you listen to "good" classical tones - saxophone as well as others such as violin, cello, bassoon? What sounds do you hear in your head as you prepare to play?

Your technique has a profound influence on your sound. Many people look for the cure via mouthpieces only to find their tone still sucks because of the sonic concept in their head.

Go for the Tone.

·
36,473 Posts
For the sake of reference, the alto players in my quartet use Selmer C* (she has a degree in music performance) and a Rousseau (he is a retired professor of the saxophone) - both are using Selmer Mk VI horns. I play a Morgan "C" .095 on tenor (Ref 36).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hmmm good questions Dr. G well i have been using my current setup ever since I got my new horn... its a Jupitor - 789 - 787 tenor with a black laquor finish... and I would say three years now with current setup. What is lacking is what I call a real mature concert sound. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I want as a dark and blending of a sound as I can get. As far from Jazz as I can get. I really havent listened to any good classical T-Sax players.. This is somthing I really need to do.. if you can list any of your favorits I would be much apreciative. If you have any suggestions for books I should buy for a good classical sound please let me know.. I do have a solo piece picked out put if you can think of a great piece that I might should look at please let me know, I am open to any suggestions. As for tone exercises go, I need a better tone I know this .... what are the best exercises for tone. Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.