Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a piece that I can start working on now for my college audition next year. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to choose or where to look?
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I think you might have trouble getting suggestions unless people know what the requirements are for the audition and what kind of program you're auditioning for.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All I know is that there has to be two contrasting pieces, and I have to play a certain amount of major and minor scales.

·
Registered
59 Posts
where are you auditioning? play something that you're comfortable with, don't be afraid to just play a blues. I played Fly Me to The Moon and In a Sentimental Mood for my auditions. I can play songs with harder changes, but I had been really enjoying those two songs in the weeks prior to my audition, so i played them.
good luck

·
Registered
520 Posts
I would play a medium to fast swing and a ballad. The college I auditioned for had me do 3 tunes and all major+minor scales. So I did a bossa, a medium-fast swing, and a ballad. Pick a tune that you really like and can sound good on it!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,875 Posts
Guys, don't get carried away with jazz suggestions. More than likely, he's asking about classical repertoire. Even jazz majors typically have to pass a classical audition.

Are you in band? Have you participated in solo and ensemble competitions? Have you auditioned for all-state? What music did you play for those? That's a good place to start.

Contact the saxophone professors at the schools you're considering. Ask them what level of piece they're looking for. Most states have a grading system for pieces. Here in Texas, there are 5 grades with "1" being the hardest (in some states "5" or "V" is the hardest). Auditions for all state band and for college are usually Grade 1. Here's a link to the Grade 1 in list for Texas for alto. Any of these pieces would probably work for an audition. Pieces with multiple movements, you can probably play one technical movement and one lyrical movement (typically the 2nd) and that'll cover the requirements for your audition.

https://www.utexas.edu/uil/pml/cata...ent/13/acapella/1/accomp/1/op_grade/=/grade/1

Illinois probably has something similar but I wouldn't know where to look for it. Your band director can probably help.

If you can find a sheet music store, ones that stocks pieces for all state, then you can browse the pieces and they usually have them marked with what grade they are.

FWIW, the classical part of my college audition was the Glazounov Concerto and a couple of movements from Bach Cello Suite No. 1.

·
Registered
482 Posts
There's an excellent saxophonist/teacher/composer/arranger here in the UK called Phillip Rawle. My quartet plays some of his arrangements. He's written some nice sax solos for his students and has published them on his Sibelius Music pages here:

http://www.sibeliusmusic.com/index.php?sm=account.details&uid=106399

You don't say what sax you're playing, but click on woodwind solos, choose your sax and listen to a few, (you'll need the free downlaod Sibelius Scorch). There's a big choice so you're bound to find something there that works for you. Your adjudicators should be impressed that you've found some original compositions to perform too. Personally I like his 'Super Nova' composition for alto sax, and love playing it just for fun, though I'm a tenor player !! On the tenor page I think his Beguine Jazz dance would make a great audition piece.

Phil Rawle is a very approachable chap and enjoys discussing his music, so don't be shy of popping him an emial if you have any questions, I'm sure he'd be delighted to hear from you.

Good luck!

·
Registered
520 Posts
Guys, don't get carried away with jazz suggestions. More than likely, he's asking about classical repertoire. Even jazz majors typically have to pass a classical audition.
in that case. I played the Glazunov Saxophone Concert, all 3 movements. Plus some etudes from the Ferling book.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts