1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
44 Posts
Have you ever heard of, read about or seen a Coleman Hawkins Special baritone? This would be a new specimen to SML history, I think.

Here you can buy one:

Splitbell, the same unique artdeco cages that my alto has.
If SML was not the maker, like it is doubted about SML baris in general, who could it have been?
Please note upfront I know nothing about (SML) Baritones, but here are my first impressions. First, on the bell it still mentiones 'Strasser, Marigaux Lemaire' ; so yes most likely prior to mid 50' (prior to Mr Lemaire passing away and they switched to 'Strasser Marigaux'). The 'eagle on globe' engraving is somewhat a mystery, together with the 'Music' & 'Baexxx'(?) enscription. Obviously apparently made in Zurich, Swiss ....which by coincidence is the place where as I see in the link the sax was apparently put up for sale (!). I must say I never saw such unique artdeco cages on an SML. But You say you have them on your alto too? Interesting.
My obvious best guess is of course it's made by a Swiss Zurich company (LoL), but which one?
Another coincidence 'pour la petite histoire': apparently Mr STRASSER was indeed...swiss :).

Reactions: JayeLID

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
911 Posts
If this is priced in Swiss Francs, according to the on line conversion I used it sold for
$3,948, seems a bit on the high side to me :cautious:

·
SOTW Interviews/Editor, Distinguished SOTW Member,
1,295 Posts
RE the CH Special, it had been my understanding that only alto and tenors had been produced. Fascinating to see a baritone.
Coleman Hawkins Moels [sic]

For general purposes:
A repair overview video, plus a review of SML baritones, and two histories (some taken from early research first posted on SOTW. .

SML baritone saxophone review

SML Saxophone Models | Saxophone.org

A tenor that sold earlier.
SML Coleman Hawkins Special Tenor Rare (Unique?) Late Example - www.GetASax.com

As for price, I've seen collectors wildly overbid on what they considered to be "rare" SML horns.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If this is priced in Swiss Francs, according to the on line conversion I used it sold for
I know about two private offers for Coleman Hawkins Special tenors right now in Europe.
One that for me hasn‘t it’s original silverplate is offered for 6.500€ and the other one for 8.000€. Ok, that seems a bit on the high side for me.
I haven’t seen tenors that went for less than 4.500€ in the last years in my part of the world.

So less then 4.000 for a much more seldom baritone are definitely a steal out of a collectors view.
I am convinced that it isn’t worth this amount from a players point of view though.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Please note upfront I know nothing about (SML) Baritones, but here are my first impressions. First, on the bell it still mentiones 'Strasser, Marigaux Lemaire' ; so yes most likely prior to mid 50' (prior to Mr Lemaire passing away and they switched to 'Strasser Marigaux'). The 'eagle on globe' engraving is somewhat a mystery, together with the 'Music' & 'Baexxx'(?) enscription. Obviously apparently made in Zurich, Swiss ....which by coincidence is the place where as I see in the link the sax was apparently put up for sale (!). I must say I never saw such unique artdeco cages on an SML. But You say you have them on your alto too? Interesting.
My obvious best guess is of course it's made by a Swiss Zurich company (LoL), but which one?
Another coincidence 'pour la petite histoire': apparently Mr STRASSER was indeed...swiss :).
The engraving shows a hawk as a reference to Coleman Hawkins and therefore is specific for this model.
It is a bit more clear on my alto, which is the only SML with a real goldplating (a bit fainted) I know of.

Idiophone Musical instrument Automotive tire Brass instrument Armour

·
Registered
44 Posts
The engraving shows a hawk as a reference to Coleman Hawkins and therefore is specific for this model.
It is a bit more clear on my alto, which is the only SML with a real goldplating (a bit fainted) I know of.

View attachment 133110
Whow, nice picture! I wasn't aware the hawk referred to Hawkins, but of course it makes sense :). Thx for sharing.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
911 Posts
The market price for horns is apparently more expensive in Europe than in the US.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
19,769 Posts
Still doesn't really uncover who made that baritone....my understanding has been oftentimes SML subcontracted out their bighorns (I know for a fact the 60's ones were Beaugnier)....very interesting horn, although I am not so certain that, outside of collector value, it's a 'killer' Baritone.
When out of the actual SML factory you can bank on your horn being very good, again, this one was a subcontract, methinks....

·
Registered
303 Posts
If the person who bought that baritone happens to see this, please email me at GetASax at gmail as I would love to see more photos. I collect Coleman Hawkins Special SMLs a little bit and would love to see more details of this one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts