Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2011-2015
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was not sure where to post this but here goes. I had my Super 20 Silversonic tenor restored by Tenor Madness. They shipped it out on Monday vis UPS. It made it to Lenexa, Kansas where it sat for about 30 hours. It is now again enroute to me. How will the extreme cold affect the sax and what precautions / preperations should I use when it arrives?

·
Registered
528 Posts
Some guy named Goodson charges a good bit of money for "cryogenic treatment" that is supposed to make a sax sound superduperdeluxe or some such. Sounds like you will be getting yours with a similar treatment as lagniappe. :D

More seriously, the only thing I can think would happen is condensation forming all over it when you open the cold case inside an nice warm, humid (it is Deep East Texas ) room. Not sure that is all that disastrous, but you could just leave it in the case for a handful of hours waiting for it to assume room temperature inside the case before opening.
Or just fling it open and admire your newly restored tenor. Pads are going to see condensation eventually anyway (unless you aren't going to play it :evil: ) and the brass bits can be dried off. That would be my approach... no way I could let it sit in the case without even getting a look at it. ;)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,466 Posts
let it warm up to room temperature in the opened case for 20 minutes-a half hour-it should be fine.

ps...next time pay for overnight shipping

·
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am stretching my "hobby" budget as it is. The Hiscox Artist case was an extra I added at the last minute. The case it was in was pretty flimsy and I did not want to continue to use that. I figured I would just let it sit in the stand and adjust to the room tempature before trying to play it. I was not sure if the cold would affect the shellac used on the pads.

·
Registered
568 Posts
It could be very well ruined. There is just one thing to do:

When the instrument arrives, do not open the case. Immediately take the case to the shipper and forward it to me. With great care, I will evaluate the instrument for several years to make sure that it is stable and performs as you would like. After the evaluation period is over, the instrument will be returned to you in the broken-in condition you observed when you sent it out in the first place.

I am very glad that you posted your concerns. I am available to perform this service whenever something like this happens.

Don't take a chance, send it to me.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,354 Posts
ps...next time pay for overnight shipping
Actually...overnight shipping means the horn is going on a plane...lickety-split from facility to facility to freight plane to facility to station....absolutely guaranteed :| to get to your doorstep the next day.......

....meaning (at least) someone is definitely gonna toss that box somewhere along the line.....

Folks think that overnite domestic is safer because of less transit time. My (repeated) experience has proven otherwise.....

Shouldn't be a problem, the cold. Just let the sax thaw.......(!)

·
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It could be very well ruined. There is just one thing to do:

When the instrument arrives, do not open the case. Immediately take the case to the shipper and forward it to me. With great care, I will evaluate the instrument for several years to make sure that it is stable and performs as you would like. After the evaluation period is over, the instrument will be returned to you in the broken-in condition you observed when you sent it out in the first place.

I am very glad that you posted your concerns. I am available to perform this service whenever something like this happens.

Don't take a chance, send it to me.
I really appreciate the thoughtfulness. Such great people you meet here on SOTW!

JayeSF mirrored my thoughts on the overnight thing.

Latest Update:

Lenexa, KS, United States 02/02/2011 1:37 P.M. Departure Scan
Lenexa, KS, United States 02/01/2011 9:58 A.M. Arrival Scan
Des Moines, IA, United States 02/01/2011 3:57 A.M. Departure Scan
02/01/2011 12:34 A.M. Arrival Scan
Cedar Falls, IA, United States 01/31/2011 9:40 P.M. Departure Scan
01/31/2011 8:10 P.M. Origin Scan
United States 01/31/2011 2:36 P.M. Order Processed: Ready for UPS

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
2,461 Posts
With all due respect... please don't ship any cold weather out here to California... we would just ship it back

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,466 Posts
Actually...overnight shipping means the horn is going on a plane...lickety-split from facility to facility to freight plane to facility to station....absolutely guaranteed :| to get to your doorstep the next day.......

....meaning (at least) someone is definitely gonna toss that box somewhere along the line.....

Folks think that overnite domestic is safer because of less transit time. My (repeated) experience has proven otherwise.....

Shouldn't be a problem, the cold. Just let the sax thaw.......(!)
Well that isn't my experience. My neighbor who is THMFIC of this service for UPS in my area has explained the process of handling the overnight, delivered by 10AM packages. It's a whole different process--and no tossing involved and recommends this service for anything fragile or valuable. Packages handled this way are also much less likely to go missing. There is such a small volume of these that they don't get in the system the same as standard shipping and are handled by separate bunch of apes. You may have noticed that these are delivered on a different truck, by other than your usual UPS guy.......... Maybe you just have (repeated) bad luck.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I simply no longer use UPS. I have had sooo many problems with "any" insurance problems.
I have only claimed 3 in the past and "all" were denied. UPS makes it virtually impossible to collect on anything "they" did.

I use USPS priority.

Looking forward to some juicy pics of the new horn!

·
Registered
226 Posts
I try not to ship on Fridays during the winter thinking that the sax will be sitting in an unheated warehouse or truck for a couple extra days. (But not really sure). I have had to make only 1 claim with UPS for damage. I think I claimed about 160 in damage and they paid 100 with no explanation given. Has anyone filed a claim with USPS and how did that go?

·
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This was the thought process from the guys at Tenor Madness. The sax was ready and paid for last Thursday, but they waited until Monday to ship so it would not sit in a facility over the weekend. So much for that plan. It was stuck in Lenexas, Kansas for 28 hours and now it looks like it is somewhere between Kansas and Mesquite, Texas. Hopefully it will arrive early next week and undamaged.

·
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have shipped a lot through UPS over the years and so far...... <knocks on wood> I have only had 1 claim. That was for a Weatherby MKV 378 Win Mag rifle I had sold. It took a letter from my attorney to get that resolved.

·
Distiguished SOTW Tech
1,545 Posts
This was the thought process from the guys at Tenor Madness. The sax was ready and paid for last Thursday, but they waited until Monday to ship so it would not sit in a facility over the weekend. So much for that plan. It was stuck in Lenexas, Kansas for 28 hours and now it looks like it is somewhere between Kansas and Mesquite, Texas. Hopefully it will arrive early next week and undamaged.
Unless the horn was banged around in shipping, your sax should be just fine. I'm more conserned about the time the gorrillas have to bounce my horn around than temperature. Now, with wood instruments I'd be much more conserned. Although a couple of years ago I had a wood piccolo shipped to me that was left in my mail box outside for a good 12 hours before I got to it. Luckily it was just fine. I'd just let it get warmed up slowly.
Matt

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor
4,379 Posts
If it's any consolation, every shipping method was delayed between Northeast Iowa, through Lenexa, to Texas last week. Nothing was flying or driving through this part of the country Feb. 2 or 3rd. Musician's Friend even closed their warehouse the night of Feb. 2 because no one could get to work. Blizzards will do that.

Oslo, Stockholm, Moscow and Helsinki were a little warmer than Kansas City last week. And we're not used to that s#**.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts