1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
She was one of a kind and will be deeply missed. Journalism and the movements for having women and minorities in leadership positions benefited greatly from her leadership.

May her memory be a blessing.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Insightful & trustworthy. A voice of reason. We need more journalists like that. She will be remembered. Hopefully her example will inspire others.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Insightful & trustworthy. A voice of reason. We need more journalists like that. She will be remembered. Hopefully her example will inspire others.
The death of journalism has been a contributing factor in so many problems we're facing in the US, and I imagine in many other countries, too. I hope that there are brilliant young people who are inspired to do great journalism, but I know for a fact that many high school and college counselors discourage students from entering the field. The reasons are obvious: in the new economy, where "content" is supposed to be free, "content producers" (writers, musicians, graphic artists, etc) have a hard time getting paid for their work.

There were problems with what we now call "legacy media": the big newspapers, the news magazines, the major television networks. But they at least supplied a baseline of generally agreed upon facts that served as a basis for debate. Now, they're gone, or if they still exist, they are shadows of their former selves, and we live in a "post truth" society, where opinions and ideologies rule and facts are barely relevant. That's a trend that is not going to end well.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,249 Posts
The death of journalism has been a contributing factor in so many problems we're facing in the US, and I imagine in many other countries, too. I hope that there are brilliant young people who are inspired to do great journalism, but I know for a fact that many high school and college counselors discourage students from entering the field. The reasons are obvious: in the new economy, where "content" is supposed to be free, "content producers" (writers, musicians, graphic artists, etc) have a hard time getting paid for their work.

There were problems with what we now call "legacy media": the big newspapers, the news magazines, the major television networks. But they at least supplied a baseline of generally agreed upon facts that served as a basis for debate. Now, they're gone, or if they still exist, they are shadows of their former selves, and we live in a "post truth" society, where opinions and ideologies rule and facts are barely relevant. That's a trend that is not going to end well.

Thank you for this post. It does appear to be an international phenomenon.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Very sad. I always trusted NPR's "Ask Cokie" segment to help me understand American political history better.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
I was so sad to hear this today. I always loved her. She was smart, insightful, articulate, honest and gifted journalist. While many remembrances talk about what a great female journalist she was, she was a fantastic, period. She could hold her own among the greats any day. By all accounts she was also a wonderful friend, mother, wife and friend.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts