Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 40 of 65 Posts
After watching some of my favorite sax players (not saying they don't have good chops) but some of them are definitely using something to get that extra energy.

Even more energizing is green tea...has way more caffeine than coffee.
I cannot help but think that you are writing tongue in cheek.
You will find, I believe, that Charlie Parker, Stan Getz & many others relied upon something much stronger than Green Tea. :bluewink:
Green Tea is something for aged aunts to take with cucumber sandwiches.

Green Tea is something for aged aunts to take with cucumber sandwiches.
I can live without the green tea - and the aged aunts, come to think of it - but a good cucumber sarnie is a real delicacy. You have to use fresh, home-grown cucumbers though...the shop-bought ones are a waste of time.

Regards,

I can live without the green tea - and the aged aunts, come to think of it - but a good cucumber sarnie is a real delicacy. You have to use fresh, home-grown cucumbers though...the shop-bought ones are a waste of time.

Regards,
Is that before or after the J?....an attack of the Munchies? :bluewink:

I find that I can drink a couple of cups of coffee about an hour before a performance but it needs to be followed by equal amounts of water. If I drink coffee or eat during a performance it affects my saliva production to the point it can alter my abilities to hit altissimo accurately so I generally eat/drink beverages (never alcohol) 1-2 hours prior to a gig, brush my teeth and then eat after a performance. Energy wise it does not make a difference if the music is grooving and the audience is enjoying it. That is all I need to stay awake even at 1am.

B

Is that before or after the J?....an attack of the Munchies? :bluewink:
There's no J for me anymore. I used to like an occasional puff every now and then...until I had a really nasty experience on with the stuff. Tried it again some years later and had much the same reaction. These days I'm happy with a couple of fingers of single malt.
As for the cucumbers...I planted some seeds a few years back...no idea why as I'd never really like cucumbers - but they grew, so I thought I'd give 'em a go. Quite a surprise.

...I 'spose I could try smokin' one...

Regards,

There's no J for me anymore. I used to like an occasional puff every now and then...until I had a really nasty experience on with the stuff. Tried it again some years later and had much the same reaction. These days I'm happy with a couple of fingers of single malt.
As for the cucumbers...I planted some seeds a few years back...no idea why as I'd never really like cucumbers - but they grew, so I thought I'd give 'em a go. Quite a surprise.

...I 'spose I could try smokin' one...

Regards,
Yup - :)

I don't care much for coffee. Makes me feel jittery. I like a shot of bourbon before a gig, and maybe a beer during the breaks. Helps me relax. Plus I just like to drink.

I

I'm a die hard coffee drinker, although I rarely have more than two cups, or two double espressos (I love espresso!) a day. One in the morning, one in the afternoon. I never get jittery from it, even if I have a third cup. So no, I don't think it affects my playing at all.

However,

...I had to forego the pre-gig pints, and found that I enjoyed the gig a great deal less. It wasn't that I played any better or worse, I just didn't feel all that involved.
I tried substituting the alcohol for a 'toke on Mary Jane'...but that turned out to be a disaster (sense of timing all over the place).
I'm sure glad to hear I'm not the only one on both counts above, but especially on having a pint or two on the gig (rarely more than two or it does affect my playing!). I almost never play a gig where an alcoholic beverage isn't available, but it's happened once or twice. On those occasions, I really missed that pint in terms of enjoying the gig, but I don't think it was better or worse for my playing.

And yes, dancers on the floor definitely give me more energy, every time.

Regarding moderation, it's great. Use lots and lots of moderation!

I love coffee - real coffee, not the average American household coffee. That stuff sucks. It's like comparing Budweiser to a real European-type beer.

Anyway, I might down a double espresso on the way out the door on my way to a rehearsal if I'm feeling a bit drowsy. And I always start the day off with one or two mugs of dark coffee or Café Americano. But I'm not sure I can recall its having a negative effect on my performing - with one exception.

While on a tour of Sicily the sponsors, without informing us, moved the concert time one hour later, so we had a lot of time on our hands. I went into a Gelateria and started slugging down espressos. The activity "expanded to fill the time allotted". When I got on the podium to conduct, I noticed that my stick hand was shaking erratically. To wit, I informed the wind ensemble that, if they saw any baton movement smaller than a 2"X2" square, don't follow it. :mrgreen:

Ironically, when I used to work full-time as an arranger and would pull all-nighters several nights in a row, coffee would put me right to sleep but a six pack of beer would keep me awake all night. Go figure.

I love coffee - real coffee, not the average American household coffee. That stuff sucks. It's like comparing Budweiser to a real European-type beer.
Budweiser IS a real European beer...at least the original stuff is ;)

Regards,

What a completely terrifying thought...
I feel that I misrepresented myself with that post, but that's OK. Yall have the wrong idea about me but I do know when I play my best.. and that's undoubtedly when I have the clearest head, which isn't often. Either that or strong opiates but I don't have as much chronic pain anymore so I don't mess with that stuff. I've seen too many friends and heroes succumb.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.