Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2007-2012, Distinguished SOTW Te
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been working on a project for about a year now, and I think its time to share it with the world.

The problem was I kept having players come in to my shop with the same complaint- some drunk keeled over and crashed into their sax while on a gig at the bar/club/whatever.

I tried a few things first: creating a box within which the saxophone was fully contained, with only openings for two hands at the back, and a mic inside to hook up to an external amp. This worked great, but changing reeds was tougher than it needed to be.

Next I tried a motion activated active-denial system, built with a compressed air system hooked up to piston-mounted pads. This was satisfying to watch in action, but given that the players to the right and left had to remain motionless lest they take a good one to the kisser, this was also put aside. No pics of this one due to pending lawsuit.

Finally I hit upon the idea that I have started adding to every single one of my overhauls- and its so simple and easy, I can't believe it hasn't been done before. Just finish your repad/overhaul, cork the keys shut, and spray on a truck bedliner.

There are several brands, but I find RhinoLiner to be the most durable. for best results, it is good to rough up the surface of the sax with some 120 grit sandpaper before beginning, but this is not strictly necessary. About 1cm thick layer encases the sax in a protective armor suit that absorbs all but the most brutal of accidents- and looks pretty cool too!

Pictures tomorrow.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,552 Posts
When you get it perfected let me know. Could you do my pickem-up truck at the same time? I want them to match.

·
6,862 Posts
Terrific. That horn would go great with an unlaquered vintage pick-up truck!

·
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Banned
1,611 Posts
If you truck coat a mark VI I will hunt you down. Try it with a junker. I would record the horn before and after. It will be interesting to see how much of the vibration is lost.
I know, April fools!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,107 Posts
I was gonna say, being down in redneck land is affecting Matt's mind...heheheheheheh...

The full containment box is a good idea. It could be lined with lead if your favorite saxophone becomes radioactive.

·
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lol @ william and paul

I think a full-size containment box for trumpet players would be a marketable product. "No dude, its to protect you."

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
Gotta be some April fools joke. Black lacquer automotive paint is quite durable. Add a couple of coats of clear and it can be REALLY durable.... Bedliner...Hmmm?

·
1,597 Posts
I would think the coating needs to be applied to the inside as well. You can't be too careful!

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
If you truck coat a mark VI I will hunt you down. Try it with a junker. I would record the horn before and after. It will be interesting to see how much of the vibration is lost.
I know, April fools!!
This would be a great test of the concept that the finish has no effect on the sound of a sax.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor
4,379 Posts
Just finish your repad/overhaul, cork the keys shut, and spray on a truck bedliner.
Isn't that what Selmer USA did on their Bundy saxes 20 or 30 years ago? They weren't black, but the texture was similar.

·
Distiguished SOTW Tech
1,545 Posts
Just a couple of questions. Will you be offering franchises? Do you have to remove the original lacquer first, and will that affect the tone? Should the Awesomizer be applied before or after the new finish? Can I still use Curt's balance method of tuning after applying the finsh?

I bow to your innovative and creative spirit. You are the king.

Matt...the other one

1 - 20 of 33 Posts