Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Non Resident SOTW Eccentric & 2012 Forum Contribut
3,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I love my old Chu era Conn however until now I considered the sound to be a little mellow. Just for fun I just tried my Selmer Jazz alto metal piece on it.

I had to put it all the way on the cork and screw the adjuster in all the way but holy mackerel (or other fish of your choice)

It still has the richness but now has some real character and projection.
Intonation is pretty darn good on the strobe tuner. Not perfect but better than some of the other good horns I have here.

Anyway, just thought someone might be interested. Best I can guess is the piece is from the late 50's to early 60's.

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
It's amazing what those little tenors can do. All they need is some TLC and a bit of baffle to really sing.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the C-Me
2,057 Posts
Helps if you have a terrier to sing along... This is a 30's Martin C with a cheapo 'ToneKing Special' (Wagner blank) tenor mouthpiece, and LaVoz medium - being played gently -

http://cmelodysax.co.uk/blog/?p=789

Trying to put it up on YouTube, but I guess technology is having a bad day...

maddenma - no baffle, unusual for me, makes a gentler sound, but can still get frisky [rolleyes]

·
8,588 Posts
Sounded good to me, but my cat was unimpressed. Walked out of the room.

I think he wanted a little more edge. :)

Either that, or it was a social comment on the terrier....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,715 Posts
Helps if you have a terrier to sing along... This is a 30's Martin C with a cheapo 'ToneKing Special' (Wagner blank) tenor mouthpiece, and LaVoz medium - being played gently -

http://cmelodysax.co.uk/blog/?p=789

Trying to put it up on YouTube, but I guess technology is having a bad day...

maddenma - no baffle, unusual for me, makes a gentler sound, but can still get frisky [rolleyes]
Excellent & most amusing.
Now try it again with your Martin equipped with hairy Lawton, in full "tenor mode".....that may even get the attention of Ace, who, I couldn't fail to notice, looked rather bored. :)

·
2,057 Posts
I did try most of my mouthpieces that afternoon, but within the limitations of the microphone on the cellphone, the results were a bit mediocre. I can see I'm going to have to put up a real mic, and use that expensive Logitech webcam that I treated myself to some years back, now that I've started dumping videos on Youtube. The account there is also conveniently called "cmelodysax".

CJ did say that the Lawton was the only one that affected the hairs on the back of her neck... But that cheapo ebonite one in the video (sorry Wagner/Keilwerth...) really did play well, if not a tad gently, and made the old C feel less clunky and breathless, hmmm...

Lets see how this one sounds, Lawton 8*BB to the rescue... Like reliving old memories, haven't played this mouthpiece in a while !

Could do with a bit of work, I think - harmonics aren't where they were with the Couf ebonite, I don't seem to be hitting the high notes with conviction and force - plus I get a tad out of puff going back to 8*. But the difference in attack is noticeable, even on the tiny phone/camera/mic. Need to try again on a better sound/video setup, methinks :lick: and possibly practise just a little [rolleyes] ?

P.S. - My playing didn't kill off the chilli plants in the background, they just don't respond well to freezing Dorset winters - I just leave 'em alone, they come back in the Spring...

·
8,588 Posts
Ok, Sebastian (the cat) approves of the Lawton. He remained under the monitor, opened one eye, twitched an ear, and then went back to sleep.

High praise from a cat.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Cmelodysax: Thanks for the demos! Your sound gives me something to aim for on the Cs. Still can't decide on a mouthpiece, tenor or alto. I tried a, (believe it or not), Claude Lakey 6-3 on my Buescher and found intonation OK, but I'm still getting a kind of...I don't know how to describe it...nasal sound? Same with the tenor piece. Maybe it's because I'm trying to keep up with alto and tenor. Anyway, I really enjoyed your vids. Cornwall, eh. I was there in 1958 with Arthur Delamont and the Kitsilano Boys Band from Vancouver BC.

·
2,057 Posts
Sandy - 'nasal sound' is a good expression - can easily go that way if forced. I suspect it's similar to the nose being blocked - but in the case of the 'C', the big sound from a tenor mouthpiece in full flight is being constricted a little by the stretched alto bore design. Similar - in a way, imho - to soprano sax sounding oboe'ish when pushed with certain mouthpieces.

Those video's were an impulse thing on a phone-camera, I'm working on a proper setup to give a much better representation of the actual sound, against backing tracks, including some with my friendlier (but still edgy) Couf ebonites. Watch this space :bluewink:

There you go, I've just set myself a target [rolleyes] - must do it now !

P.S. I was still in Cornwall in '58, but not very musically sophisticated at age 11 - I suspect I missed a treat...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts