Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
clueless dad needs help on what to buy.buget £1400 max ideally £1000

Hi,
I do not know much about saxophones so hear goes.My daughter(just 14 but apparently evryone says a very good player) is studying her grade 8 at present and has a yamaha 275 and yamaha 475 alto and tennor (think they are the correct numbers) both are loan instruments and she has just been given £1000 from my parents to buy her own saxophone.She wants to buy one that will last her as i will not be in a position to mbuy her one in the forseable future,so would like advise on what to buy.(unsure at present if alto or tennor).What are Hansons like? the place is 40 mins from me or should i look at yani or yamaha,Stephanhouser or conn.I can put in some money but will be in around a months time.She has asked to go to a place in Bradford to try the instruments and has been listening to different people to try to get an idea of mouth piece as well.Sorry for the long post and hope you can help me
cheers mark

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
Re: clueless dad needs help on what to buy.buget £1400 max ideally £1000

I would personally go for a higher quality Yani/Yana/other used from the Woodwind Exchange in Bradford. I believe Hansons is a perfectly reputable shop but will not have the same sort of range. If you go to the Woodwind Exchange she will be able to try a whole range of pro level horns with little or no pressure to buy. The shop has a website here: http://www.woodwindexchange.com/

What sort of music does your daughter play? ie Jazz? Classical?
Has she ever upgraded the mouthpiece she uses? If not, that might be worth considering as part of the process.

EDIT: I have been researching Hansons online. Do they have an actual shop and where is it? I thought they did but cannot find it. I know they sell their own brand of instruments but do they also sell Yamahas etc as you mention?

FURTHER EDIT: Right I now understood your reference to Hansons and that fits with what I found online. I would strongly recommend that your daughter try out some saxes at the Woodwind Exchange rather than buying a Hanson instrument as her next sax.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I would personally go for a higher quality Yani/Yana/other used from the Woodwind Exchange in Bradford. I believe Hansons is a perfectly reputable shop but will not have the same sort of range. If you go to the Woodwind Exchange she will be able to try a whole range of pro level horns with little or no pressure to buy. The shop has a website here: http://www.woodwindexchange.com/

What sort of music does your daughter play? ie Jazz? Classical?
Has she ever upgraded the mouthpiece she uses? If not, that might be worth considering as part of the process.

EDIT: I have been researching Hansons online. Do they have an actual shop and where is it? I thought they did but cannot find it. I know they sell their own brand of instruments but do they also sell Yamahas etc as you mention?
She is in a couple of bands and plays a real mixture, from glen miller to the simpsons theme .
She has only ever used the yamaha mouth piece think its a 4c and yes she want to get another mouth piece.
The woodwind exchange is the place she wanted to go but didn't know if they would just try to sell me an instrument at any cost and as clueless may end up with something not suitable
Hansons only sell their own instruments
http://www.hansonmusic.co.uk/
Contact Us

We are open Monday to Friday 8.30am to 4pm. Weekends by appointment only.

Hanson Music

Manchester Road
Marsden
West Yorkshire HD7 6NJ

Telephone: 01484 848060
Fax: 01484 848069

email: [email protected]

·
Über Geek, Forum Contributor 2010 Distinguished SO
3,841 Posts

The Yamaha saxes your daughter is playing on are more than adequate for her needs, and if you can find the same horns available locally you might consider just sticking with them.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,888 Posts

I think for that money you won't get such a good instrument at most retail shop as a Bauhaus Walstein which a lot of people are raving about at the moment.

I bought a soprano and baritone from them which I use for professional TV recording work etc., those horns would last a lifetime, have a look round:

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/forumdisplay.php?392-Bauhaus-Walstein

·
Registered
33 Posts

My advice is to go somewhere that she can really try the sax. Some places will rent the saxes for a month at a time. Try one for a month to get a feel for it, try another, and make a descision. When I bought my last sax, I went to montreal every 2 weeks for 3 months and changed the rental sax for another model. The store I dealt with credited the full rental ammount towards the purchase.

A 10 minute trial can easily weed out the saxes that are NOT liked. to find the ONE that is best, requires time to experiment with.

This is her sax, so make sure SHE is happy with it.

·
8,322 Posts

The woodwind exchange is the place she wanted to go but didn't know if they would just try to sell me an instrument at any cost and as clueless may end up with something not suitable
That won't happen. They will have a range of horns. £1000 should get you a good one, especially an alto. Ring them and ask what they've got just to save a wasted journey. I'm sure Stuart will let her try out as many as she wants if she's around Grade 8. If there isn't one she really really loves, walk away. That shop is used by a lot of pros. If you feel in any way mistreated (you won't be) report back here.

Take a look at this too. I think it means you can knock 20% off whatever sax you go for: http://www.dawkes.co.uk/assisted-instrument-purchase-scheme.php. That should work anywhere if you set it up through her school.

The BW horns Pete mentions are good. The Yamahas she is already hiring are good (as barisaxdiva says).

However, ultimately, the last thing that WindMusician said weighs heavily:
This is her sax, so make sure SHE is happy with it.
I agree.
:)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Thank you for all taking the time to reply.Rootytootoot i will ask the school about that scheme thanks.She knows she has full say on what horn to buy and will go and try some but may save up some more money if she decides she likes a more expensive horn.The horns she currently uses are free as long as she plays in the band but she justs would like her own and one to take her to the next level.

·
Registered
763 Posts

Well kept secret:
The mouthpieces from Aaron Drake are rarely available here, unlike the highly praised Phil Barone ones.
There must be a reason why people tend not to sell these, even around christmas, or when they offer half their mpc-drawers for whatever occasion.

Enjoy your daughter's making music!

·
Registered
239 Posts

sounds like your daughter already has some great saxophones there - the 275 and 475 should last for years to come. Maybe you could add a good used YAS-61 or YAS-62 to that list.

A top of the line Bahaus Walstein may be the answer - and they are gorgeous.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I have had a look at a few different makes now and the Bahaus Walstein m2 after a few comments on here, my daughter has decided to wait for a year or so and i have promised her to save hard and try to get £2000 by this time next year to buy her a better horn.I will try the m2 and a few others but i think/hope for £2000 i will be able to get something decent( the m2 and another mouth piece or a good second hand horn).This will also give her time to decide if it will be an alto or tenor but In the interim i am going to buy her a better mouth piece and her teacher has said he will advice me on this.I cannot thank you all enough for all your patience and advise with such a clueless dad.

·
8,322 Posts

A better mouthpiece is a good decision. Mouthpiece is actually much more significant than the horn itself in creating a player's sound (supposing the horn is at least adequate, which most are these days). Go with the teacher's advice on that - he has got her to grade 8 so will know what he is talking about. If you ask for advice on that here you will be fed 101 possibilities and it will get you no further (IMO). As others said earlier, her present horns are perfectly decent.

Good luck with it all.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts

. . . my daughter has decided to wait for a year or so and i have promised her to save hard and try to get £2000 by this time next year to buy her a better horn.
And please pass along to your daughter our (I'm sure I'm speaking for any number of parents on the forum) compliments for the maturity she's showing in having the patience to wait and do it right. "Patience" and "teenager" are seldom synonymous terms. :mrgreen:

Good on ye, young lady!! :thumbrig:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

And please pass along to your daughter our (I'm sure I'm speaking for any number of parents on the forum) compliments for the maturity she's showing in having the patience to wait and do it right. "Patience" and "teenager" are seldom synonymous terms. :mrgreen:

Good on ye, young lady!! :thumbrig:
Have passed it on she is grinning like a cheshire cat thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts

Clueless Dad, let me know if you are still looking for a tenor saxophone.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

thanks i have been looking at Bauhaus Walstein on sax.co.uk nice kangaroo pads

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Clueless Dad, let me know if you are still looking for a tenor saxophone.
let me know what you have,condition (inc pads)when it was seviced,how much and where abouts you are and as if she is interested i will let you know.One of the reasons she has decided to wait is because she is unsure if she should get an alto or tenor, at first it was a tenor ( as she plays this more) but she prefers playing her alto and is swaying that way.If it's a bargain you never know!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
631 Posts

seems that you should consider a good 2nd hand model.
Yanagisawa and yamaha are reputable brands and relatively easy to maintain.
best will be for her to test out a few horns. do not be so brand conscious.
if possible, set aside part of the budget for a good mouthpiece.
happy hunting.
thanks for investing into music, your daughter's interest.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
1,217 Posts

I have had a look at a few different makes now and the Bahaus Walstein m2 after a few comments on here, my daughter has decided to wait for a year or so and i have promised her to save hard and try to get £2000 by this time next year to buy her a better horn.I will try the m2 and a few others but i think/hope for £2000 i will be able to get something decent( the m2 and another mouth piece or a good second hand horn).This will also give her time to decide if it will be an alto or tenor but In the interim i am going to buy her a better mouth piece and her teacher has said he will advice me on this.I cannot thank you all enough for all your patience and advise with such a clueless dad.
How fortunate she is to have such a great Dad! Best of luck with her musical future.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts