Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1955 Conn 6M is a fine player, and I really like it, nearly as much as my 1967 Mark VI. However, it has nickel keys, and some of them are "cloudy" rather than having a shiny finish. Most of them still shine well after 52 years, but a few, not necessarily where fingers lie most naturally, are cloudy.

What, if anything, can I do to reclaim the shiny finish on these keys, short of replating them?

Thanks,

Sax Magic

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor 20
1,422 Posts
My tech has buffed them lightly on a buffing wheel and they looked like new.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor 20
1,422 Posts
I would presume so, but I wasn't there for that and didn't ask about it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
What, if anything, can I do to reclaim the shiny finish on these keys, short of replating them?

If you want to do it by hand you can try a "Miracle Cloth" (Google it) rub down the keys and finish with a silver polish cloth. Does a nice job.

Buffing will require repadding unless done with a Air buff or dremel tool. It will still be a messy job.

Carl

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hagerty Silversmiths metal polish. comes in blue spray cans, or 4Oz tins. Also has a tarnish inhibitor. Pricey, but works great. Spray on, wait a minute and wipe off.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
It IS abrasive. Some polishes are more abrasive than others, but most are abrasive, especially if they obviously have a powder component. Most of the polishing is done by abrasion.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts