Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't know where to post this, but I figured you working pros would give some good insight on this.

I decided to join the local college jazz band to keep the chops up and play with a group rather than on my own. Our concert is in December and we got to wear a black button down shirt. Now being a slightly bigger guy, I'm asking what kinds of shirts you guys wear to gigs that help, not hinder playing? Does it have to be a little bigger than what you normally wear? Stretchy?

I figure this would be a good topic cause everyone has their own style in playing and dress.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm not at all a working pro, but like you, I pay in a local college jazz band and have a concert in December. We have polo shirts with the college jazz logo on them. I got one in my normal size and it has proven to be perfectly comfortable to play in. Granted, a button down may feel different, but I think part of being comfortable is clothes that fit well. If a shirt is too big that could be a distraction. Perhaps you should try playing at home in a shirt your size and one slightly larger and see which feels better.

·
Registered
918 Posts
In Detroit, like Chicago, you're apparently stuck in Blues Brothers' black. But even here in Florida many dinner club players are in either all black or black & white; it's the formal look. Not uniform dress, though; some in long-sleeve dress shirt, others in polo or short-sleeve worn outside the pants.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
3,252 Posts
Long sleeve button down is the default. Short sleeve for hot weather outdoors.
Tucked. Always. I just wear normal size. Simple!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,993 Posts
I play in a brass band that has a variety of uniform tops provided, depending on the type of gig. I need them in a tall size and had to make that clear. Another group I play with, a jazz combo, we ordered bowling shirts with our names on the front above the pocket and our logo on the back. We don't bring 'em out for formal gigs, but they fit with most of what we do.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Be careful with a suit jacket. I was playing a gig on alto and clarinet, seated. A suit jacket button got caught under the clothes guard on the alto during a song where the altos switched to clarinet. I had to pop the button off quickly. That was awkward.

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
1,146 Posts
Black shirt is the default jazz attire....get something long sleeved and comfortable....if slightly bigger is more comfy, do that....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,946 Posts
I didn't know where to post this, but I figured you working pros would give some good insight on this.

I decided to join the local college jazz band to keep the chops up and play with a group rather than on my own. Our concert is in December and we got to wear a black button down shirt. Now being a slightly bigger guy, I'm asking what kinds of shirts you guys wear to gigs that help, not hinder playing? Does it have to be a little bigger than what you normally wear? Stretchy?

I figure this would be a good topic cause everyone has their own style in playing and dress.
I wear a black, long sleeve, button-down dress shirt for most occasions, black polo for stinkin' hot outdoor gigs. Black slacks and polished black dress shoes are complemented with a handcrafted silver buckle set on a black tooled leather belt. I dress better for gigs than I do for business (I stopped wearing ties and sport coats over 10 years ago).

Of course, that dress code is what my band wears. You should also ask what others in YOUR band are wearing. Does everyone wear sneakers? Even if the sax section uses fronts, you still have to walk out to the stage.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I see that black dominates.
Not surprisingly, it is considered elegant to this day.
"Noir" as a mysterious night and "rouge" as wine ... what a beautiful composition!
So, I use it, too.
I try to emphasize the beauty of music with the beauty of colors.
Black pants with delicate gray stripes, gray shoes.
Black jacket with rolled-up sleeves, from which a red-black accent of the lining protrudes.
Red t-shirt with black text.
And on the head - a gray hat with a red ribbon (model from the 60s inherited from my grandfather, I put this hat on for a few years, it brings me luck, and so that my grandpa could see and hear me better ... maybe ..., as he liked to listen to music and liked to dance in the old style - elegantly).

·
Registered
136 Posts
Can't go wrong with black, especially as a sideman. Club gigs, a black bowling type shirt with a small design (see avatar pic), sometimes panels on the front, with dark blue jeans or black pants and black boots/shoes. "Band" gig on stage or in the pit, black long sleeve button-down/black pants/black shoes. Just bought a couple of black western style shirts with some red piping, one long sleeved, one short sleeved.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,946 Posts
You're a sax player. No matter what the rest of the attire is, don't forget to wear a beret.....
<gag>

Who does this... and why? Of all the musicians I have worked with over the last half century, NONE have worn a beret. I recall one cravat on a French jazz guitarist, but no berets.

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
1,146 Posts
You're a sax player. No matter what the rest of the attire is, don't forget to wear a beret.....
It’s the standard for those that are losing their hair.... :)

1 - 20 of 78 Posts