Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help i just went to a camp and everybody said that cloth lig suck because they strech. is that true? and what does stretching have to do with it? What do you guys recommend? What are the pros and cons of both? People at the camp all said BGs but those are too much.

Right now i have a ronver dark lig.

thanks

·
Registered
552 Posts
There are good and bad metal ligatures and good and bad cloth ligatures -- different things work with different mouthpieces and the only way to know what is good for you is to try various ligatures . start with francois louis " ultimate ligature "

·
Registered
886 Posts
A cloth ligature will stretch over time, but over a LONG time. I've found that as long as you are comparing decent ligatures, they will not have a noticable effect on your sound. On the response and feel of the mouthpiece, a little. The great thing about Rovners and their kind is they are consistent, easy to use, and inexpensive. And you can drop them and not worry -- doesn't sound like a huge advantage, but try that with a Bay. That said, I don't use them. I settled on a Beechler, because I felt it gave my tenor piece (SR fusion) quicker response. But you're talking about very subjective differences. If your Rovner dark works for you now, don't sweat it.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,890 Posts
I don't like Rovners, not because they stretch though. I don't like them because they dapen the vibrations...you won't sound darker, just muffled.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I certainly found that the Rovner dark muffled me on a Yamaha 4C, Rico Royale 2.5, Selmer SA80 II. But a change to Rovner Light transformed my sound and I really like it now.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for all your replies. So you guys are basically saying that there are almost no differences between metals and cloths. sorry this might be redundant but, what does stretching do when my ligature stretches?

·
Banned
624 Posts
I currently use a Vandoren masters inverted brass lig which I have been very happy with for a long time on a hard rubber mouthpiece. I think I may have tried a Rovner dark at some point and didn't remember liking it, however, it has been often recommended to go with a particular mouthpiece I just ordered (brighter sounding.) So I am thinking about trying it again. Then I will compare the vandoren lig and the rovner.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,147 Posts
J.Max said:
I don't like Rovners, not because they stretch though. I don't like them because they dapen the vibrations...you won't sound darker, just muffled.

Same. I used to use them along with the rest of my school because this one really good kid and his instructor played one, but I try not to conform. I discovered one day that my piece of garbage metal ligature sounded so much better.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts