Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,211 Posts
I think you sound great on that tune. Good playing!

However, I doubt the dark sound is due to the closed tip. It's far more likely due to the interior design (very low baffle, large chamber) of that mpc, in addition to using a relatively hard reed. In general, all other parameters being equal, a smaller tip will brighten the tone and a more open tip darkens the tone. That's why a high baffle mpc requires a more open tip; to balance out the high baffle and add warmth. But these are just general tendencies; how you play figures in as well.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Great sound and playing Olivier! Would be nice to hear you on your normal mouthpiece to compare. But nothing in the clip tells me that it is a small tip opening. It just sounds great and personal!

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,492 Posts
great sound, demonstration that you can skin a cat in many different ways.

My personal experience is that you can achieve a dark sound on a open piece with a light reed but there are many ways to get to Rome.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Thanks, nice case.

I feel it has a lot of character, very mood sense of sound, high air saturation creates a smoky atmosphere (that I like).
And I think (as "JJ" above) that it would be interesting to hear how you sound on your main? more open mouthpiece with softer reed to find out if the reason of darker sound is changing the setup, as you suggest, or you just "can" do that even on the other (used usually) setup (as "milandro" suggested above). Now I feel a desire to try to play on a similar setup to hear and feel the effect.

Olivier, did you feel quite confortable on this setup, how was the aspect of comfort compared to your typical set?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the fact is that there's not so much difference between these closed and (moderate) open Mouthpiece.
I'll post the same tune with a 114 J8 Lamberson i've bought (J8 refaced by Ed Zentera.)....
it will probably be different...

Thanks for your posts

cause at this time, I don't know what kind of mouthpiece play ?
Should I return to medium open or stay with the kind of really closed mouthpiece ?
I do not really know anything

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Re: closed tenor mouthpiece for dark sound on "well you needn't " monk's theme

Play whatever you like the sound and feel of.

Play what inspires you.

No law that says you can't keep both in the case and pull out whichever you're in the mood for. Plenty of sax players do this.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,211 Posts
the fact is that there's not so much difference between these closed and (moderate) open Mouthpiece.

cause at this time, I don't know what kind of mouthpiece play ?
Should I return to medium open or stay with the kind of really closed mouthpiece ?
If you don't think there's much difference, then I'd go with the one that plays best for you.

However, tip size is only one parameter. Unless you vary the tip size on a mpc of the exact same design, then you can't ascribe any difference only to the tip opening. Other factors such as chamber size and baffle (esp baffle), are more likely to make a significant difference.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts