Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope I don't anger or offend anyone, but...
I came across this listing on Ebay (it ended rather abruptly and mysteriously just before it was scheduled to):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/new-RSR-Vin...thpiece-7-100-tip-Vandoren-reed-/322017323831
I was following it because it intrigued me. Then I suddenly realized why it intrigued me: it's a clone of a piece that I've had for a while and actually quite like. :shock:

Listed piece: Office supplies Writing implement Pen Cylinder Tints and shades

Mine: Microphone Office supplies Audio equipment Bicycle part Gadget

Listed piece: Wood Communication Device Gadget Tool Wood stain

Mine: Handwriting Automotive design Bumper Rim Automotive exterior

I don't think the original is old enough yet to get the tribute treatment. But if you do a "tribute" piece at least be kind enough to not copy the original's logo and design work. Yeesh! (remember when we complained about the Chinese copying our stuff?)

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
13,311 Posts

·
Registered
4,258 Posts
Your "clone" appears to be a well made and well finished piece not to mention all the work on the outside. Why would someone go through that much trouble to copy a Kanee? Seriously, if folks are counterfeiting mouthpieces they're making vintage Links and Guardalas not spending that kind of effort copying a piece from little known Chinese maker.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have one of those. The picture has the KANEE logo obliterated. Why RSR did that, I have no idea.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
No offense intended toward RSR, but I think I understand where he's coming from and what he's doing. He seems to be a "tinkerer" more than a "designer." Instead of creating completely new pieces from blanks, he takes existing mouthpieces and creates with them. He seems to use Rico Graftonites and Metalites as the basis of many of his pieces, which isn't a bad starting point because they're not very expensive to begin with. I will say that he does get a fair bit of money for the pieces he sells, and they do seem to be well finished, as opposed to the "works" of another tinkerer whose name shall not be mentioned that people on the forum know by the, ahem, idiosyncratic quality of his work.
I think RSR just takes existing run of the mill pieces and looks at how he can push and mould the sound to different, if not necessarily altogether better, places. I don't think that's a bad thing at all.
Now, to be fair, I've been trying to buy one of his pieces on EBay just to see whether they're as good as he claims they are. I finally succeeded and bought one that's obviously a worked Graftonite. (I keep getting outbid for his Metalite based pieces - which I still want) I will reserve judgement on it until I get it and play it. I'm hoping to be impressed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts