Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Non Resident SOTW Eccentric & 2012 Forum Contribut
3,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions for a good clip on mic for soprano.... on stage use .....

·
Banned
2,397 Posts
Position is important. If you're playing a straight sop and put it at the bell, then you will have low volume left hand open notes and a lot more volume with lower notes. About 10 inches (90 degrees off the line of the sax) above D is a sweet spot for recording. If playing a curvey then it's easy to clip just above the inner curve above the bell so that the higher notes and the low notes coming through the bell are balanced. The AKG C408/B is an older but very good microphone, but doesn't come with a long enough stem to get to where you need to be for a straight sop.

·
3,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wade thanks for this. Is it then the reality of straight sop that one should stereo one above D and one just outside bell and blend.

I will check out the 4099's but 2 of em ....ouch ....thanks for the dpa suggestion musicool

·
Registered
238 Posts
One is enough, but don't mic it in the bell, aim it like Wade said. I have an old SD systems soprano mic that does the double mic thing, and it's cool, but you cant use it on the other horns unless you reengineer another attachment scheme, but the dpa works on tenor, alto as well as soprano and sounds great.

·
Registered
866 Posts
What Wade mentioned was absolutely correct.
But I still use AKG C747 V11, at least it serves me well on my many stage performance

·
3,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is the dpa gooseneck long enough to reach?

·
3,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks interesting too ... thanks Grumps

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,969 Posts
I do a similar make-shift sort of thing when playing my bari with a clip on mic on the bell. I'll just point my vocal mic down towards the upper stack when I'm soloing. I've just been lucky that the frequencies don't cancel each other out, but I'm sure the soprano mic above compensates for such a thing.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I use AMT on my Tenor & Alto, great mic's but as mentioned above NOT cheap!

·
Registered
272 Posts
I have used an Audio Technica AT 35 for about 10 years now. You can hear it pickup the alto and sop here.

I call it my alto tenor impersonation. I am trying to get the sop to actually sound like a sax instead of KG :D

(I am probably going to be sorry I posted this ..... :lol:)

·
3,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I do' t
I have used an Audio Technica AT 35 for about 10 years now. You can hear it pickup the alto and sop here.

I call it my alto tenor impersonation. I am trying to get the sop to actually sound like a sax instead of KG :D

(I am probably going to be sorry I posted this ..... :lol:)
I don't want to sound like him either. That is not however a comment on his phrasing or anything else...... he has his sound I have mine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts