Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All.

(Apologies - I am a newbie to the world of Sax mics).

I need advice re the best clip-on mic to go with my band's MG116C desk. While the Yamaha does have phantom power, it can't be applied independently (i.e. just to the Sax) - it has to be all-or-nothing. So, phantom power from the desk isn't an option.

Do I (thus) need to go for a separate mic and pre-amp and, if so, what is the best combination? This is for playing Live Sax in a 5-piece (with vocalists), playing rock music (specifically - Pink Floyd).

I was originally looking at the DPA 4099s. Am I right in thinking that the DAD 4099 pre-amp would do the job? Is there anything which would combine better (ideally, I'd like one with independent volume control).

Many thanks in advance for all your help.

Steve.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hi Steve,
Condenser mics. generally need 48V phantom power.
I use a dynamic SD Systems LDM 94 bell mic. (dynamic mics. don't need power).
For a volume controll, I use one (made for harps) by " Blows Me Away". I use mine clipped to the strap using cable ties, crude but effective. It is a small unit with rotary controll and for me is the perfect solution!!

Hope this helps,
John.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Hi Smuctate, phantom power won't harm dynamic mics like SM57s. Ribbon mics can have severe issues with phantom power, but normal dynamic mics will work perfectly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts