Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiyai have a shure beta98h clip on mic, it comes wireless. I got a pedal and a speaker and wanted to try and make my set up so I can control the sound on stage and so thought it would be easier to get a line off my mic instead of wireless (also want to use clip on in a busking set up without power). The pedal is tc helicon voice live which needs power so that was a first thing (so can only use that powered). I bought a preamp for the mic because thats what I needed so disconnected from the wireless box and into the pre amp shure rk100pk , but then I discovered I still need a DI because I need to power the mic!

So now I have a speaker thats great for busking. A pedal thats very advanced and great for live shows when I get my head around it. A pre amp so I can use my mic wireless or not, but I cant use my mic unless I have a di.

So im asking what di should I get? Do I need the preamp if im getting a di? Is there such thing as both in one? Cos the pre amp was £200 . Also I guess I have to get another pedal for busking! My equipment is totalling a lot of money! Its mega confusing going at it alone.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Also whilst im here does anyone use in ear monitors and any recommendations for those and tips on set up too. Thanks! 🙏🎷✨

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm not 100% sure what you have and/or why you have it...but I'll give answering your question a shot.

Normally, the Shure Beta98 is a wired microphone. Is this the microphone you have? If so, I have a couple of them; they are great mics. I've used them on several things from horns to drum toms. They do a great job on it all. Anyway...they have a built-in preamp/converter. You don't need that RK100PK unless you have another mic that I'm not familiar with. At some point in your chain, you're going to have to have phantom power to power the mic, but the Helicon Voice Live has phantom power. It will act as your preamp/DI. You don't need another preamp or DI. Just plug the mic into the Helicon, turn on phantom power, and plug the Helicon into your speaker. If you want to go wireless, you'll need a transmitter that has phantom power like the Xvive Audio U3C (maybe you already have something like this). You can plug your Beta98 into the Xvive transmitter, the Xvive receiver into the Helicon, and the Helicon into your speaker. Again, no need for another preamp or DI.

For in-ear monitors, mine are 64 Audio. Mine are old enough that the company was then called 1964 Ears. They sound good. You'll either need a wired headphone amp or a wireless transmitter and receiver. For wireless, I use a Shure PSM200. But, to be honest, if you're willing to use a wired headphone amp, a $30 Behringer PM-1 sounds better. Depending on what speaker you bought, you might have an output on the speaker that you could use to send an audio signal to either the headphone amp or wireless system. But if you want a different mix in your headphones than in your front speakers, you'll have to use a mixer for that. However, my band prefers floor monitors. Either a QSC K10 or Bose S1 will sound better for less money than custom in-ear monitors and a wireless system.

Hope this helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts