Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, its been awhile since I posted on here...had to make a new username. I found my JK tenor on here years ago when I knew almost nothing about saxophones. I hope the same can be said for mics! Anyway, I'm playing at least twice a week where I need my own mic. The clip-ons seem like a logical choice, though I don't want to spend $500. The shure beta or ATM350 look good to me. Any others in that price bracket I could look at? Yes I know there are some threads about those 2 especially. My main reason for this post however, is that I think it has to be possible to get a good condenser mic that I can record with as well. I would love the clip on thing for live, but I'm on a budget and if I can have a mic do double duty...I think I'd rather have the best sound for my buck than the most convenient. Thanks guys, looking forward to diving into SOTW again :D

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
I would hesitate to use a clip-on mic for recording. It's also nice to have a backup. May I suggest a ATM 350 for live and an SM 57 for backup/recording?

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
hakukani said:
I would hesitate to use a clip-on mic for recording. It's also nice to have a backup. May I suggest a ATM 350 for live and an SM 57 for backup/recording?
I'd have to agree with this. I don't know all the lingo but Dyanamic Mics like a Beta sm57 are made for loud stage sound levels. Plus a clip on would translate key noise and you don't want that. I would think a super cardioid, or some sort of cool ribbon mic would be the call for recording. I don't own a mic like that so I wouldn't know, but the few times I have been in a studio they put one of those fancy looking vocal mics for me to use that I'm pretty sure was like a Nueman super cardiod vocal mic.

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
Well, yeah if you can afford a Neumann, and the superlative mic pre to go along with it, and great D/A.

A SM57 or 58 is a fine mic live and has uses in recording, other good dynamics, Sennheiser MD421, EV RE20, there are some decent inexpensive condensor mics, but some are bright to the point of being brittle and many think bright=good. MXL has gotten good reviews, AT, Personally I use a Rode NT2.

mics are like mouthpieces, you gotta try some and get a good fit for your sound concept.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
If you like the sound of a clip-on, but don't like the key-clicks when recording, clip it to a music stand or whatever comes to hand.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Some of the traveling "names" (Vinton, Temptations) are supplying AKG 419s to their local bands for live shows. Their sound crews know them well so the results are predictable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts