Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a clip-on flute mic to be used in a variety of situations from low volume to loud. Does anybody have any recommendations? I've read Ian Andersons set-up on his web site and I'm curious to know who has had experience with the different brands like Aungles, K+K, Countryman etc. Thanks.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,544 Posts
I have had good luck with the K&K silver bullet.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I just purchased the Countryman Isomax 2 with the flute clip. I will probably get it next week so I'll try to let you know what I think. My only worry is that I have a wooden headjoint so I don't know how the clip is going to fit. I'm hoping I can make it work anyway. The K&K looks nice too but it seems like it could throw off the balance of the flute for me.
-Barry

·
Registered
251 Posts
Yeah lots of my friends use the headset and it seems great but I don't sing backup and I often have to switch to flute very quickly. I'll see how this goes this week and on my next gig with doubles in a couple weeks.
Barry

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all of the recommendations. I'll be curious how the Countryman works out and I'll be looking into the headsets as well. Like BarrySax6 I often have to switch to flute quickly so I'm thinking in the longrun, a clip-on may work better for my needs. I have heard good things about the K+K and I know Ian Andersen from Jethro Tull uses both the Countryman and a Shure L51(?). Are any of you using a wireless for either the K+K or headsets or Countryman? Thanks.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,544 Posts
Nope...I'm running wired. The last wireless that I bought was rendered illegal a few years ago....most sound guys check now as they are liable for interference.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'm wired as well. The Countryman is pretty nice but I want to hear what it sounds like on the gig (this Saturday and then again on Tuesday). The reason I need to hear it on the gig is because recording it at home makes me notice a lot of key noise and other jostling sounds. I have a feeling that this will not be a problem at all in a live setting but I will certainly choose other mics for recording...or possibly mount this one on a stand instead of the flute.

On the other hand, the sound outside of the key noise is very focused and warm sounding so I like that. The flute clip fits fine on my wooden headjoint. I think the convenience factor is through the roof but I will let you know how the live factor is. I have a feeling I can roll a lot of low end out of the signal and get rid of the lion's share of the key clicks and pops.

-Barry

1 - 9 of 9 Posts